Add some punch to your holiday party -- literally!
Having well-made punch is all the rage this holiday season.
Punch is not only easy to prepare, making your job as a host much easier, it's economical, so it will help keep the beverage costs for your gathering down.
On The Early Show Saturday Edition, Ray Isle, deputy wine editor of Food & Wine magazine, showed how to mix up some popular punches -- some with alcohol, some not.
Philly Fish House Punch
Apothecary Bar & Lounge in Philadelphia is redefining bottle service. Bartenders mix batches of cocktails like this potent Fish House Punch, transfer them into empty wine bottles, then let patrons pour drinks for themselves.
Recipe from www.foodandwine.com/recipes/philly-fish-house-punch
1. Add the 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar to container (using pitcher).
2. Add 6 1/2 ounces dark rum, 4 ounces brandy, 2 ounces peach schnapps, 4 ounces cold brewed black tea and 4 ounces lemon juice.
4. Add the 4 ounces water and stir well.
5. Garnish the drinks with orange peels. Serve in tumblers
Wine punches are great because they're simple to make and crowd-pleasing.
Recipe from www.foodandwine.com/recipes/brandy-wine-punch
1. In a large punch bowl, stir 1 cup of fresh lemon juice with 1/2cup sugar until the sugar dissolves.
2. Add 1-1/2 cups brandy, 1-1/2 cups amontillado sherry, 1/4 cup ruby port, 1/4 cup Cointreau, 2 chilled 750-ml bottles sparkling wine and 1 liter well-chilled club soda and stir gently until blended.
3. Add the ice and garnish with orange and lemon slices.
Limoncello Collins Punch
This is a super simple punch and a variation on a Tom Collins.
Recipe from: www.foodandwine.com/recipes/limoncello-collins-cocktails-2007
1. In a pitcher, combine 16 ounces of limoncello, 12 ounces of gin and 8 ounces of lemon juice.
2. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours.
3. Press 3 thin lemon slices against the inside of each glasses (or you could float the lemons in punch). Add ice to the glasses. Stir the limoncello mixture and pour it into the glasses.
4. Top with club soda and garnish with a mint sprig.
This is a virgin punch (non alcoholic)
Recipe can be found at www.foodandwine.com/recipes/citrus-cinnamon-punch