Dave Matthews Band took home honors for favorite group, best fan-managed Internet site and their single "The Space Between" won the "Damn I Wish I Wrote That" award, which recognizes the song of the year.
The group also won the "Must Have Album" award, defeating The Beatles' re-release disc "No. 1."
"I feel a little but ridiculous," Matthews said. "I've been listening to that 'No. 1' album by The Beatles and it kicks the crap out of our album, but it's still kind of you to vote (for us)."
No Doubt singer Gwen Stefani, who performed two chart-topping duets this year with rocker Moby and rapper Eve, won for favorite female artist. "What? Shut up!" the singer said, accepting the award. "I can't believe you guys would vote for me. That's insane."
Lenny Kravitz, who ended the show by performing a duet with Mick Jagger, won for favorite male artist.
The French prostitute-themed video for "Lady Marmalade," a cover song for the "Moulin Rouge" soundtrack performed by Christina Aguilera, Lil' Kim, Mya and Pink, won two awards, favorite video and the "Is It Hot In Here Or Is It Just My Video" category, which honors the sexiest performance.
Meanwhile, British rockers Coldplay won two awards, Best Kept Secret and the "Big In Japan" category, which recognizes the international star-power of a performer or group.
"Will & Grace" star Eric McCormack hosted the event at the Shrine Auditorium, with singers Sting, Nelly Furtado and Mary J. Blige also among the live performers. Singer Jon Bon Jovi and guitarist Richie Sambora opened the show with a rendition of "Here Comes the Sun" in a tribute to former Beatle George Harrison, who died Thursday.
"We'll miss you, George," Bon Jovi said.
The categories and winners are voted on by an undetermined number of fans via the Internet. Organizers said votes were still being filed up to a few minutes before the individual awards were presented.
The complete list of winners:
- Must-Have Album: "Everyday," Dave Matthews Band.
- Your Song Kicked Ass but was Played Too Damned Much: "It's Been Awhile," Staind.
- Welcome to the Big Time: Alicia Keys.
- Is It Hot In Here or Is It Just My Video: "Lady Marmalade," Christina, Lil' Kim, Mya and Pink.
- Best Kept Secret: Coldplay.
- Damn, I Wish I Wrote That (Song of the Year): "The Space Between," Dave Matthews Band.
- Favorite Male Artist: Lenny Kravitz.
- Favorite Female Artist: Gwen Stefani.
- Favorite Group: Dave Matthews Band.
- Hottest Live Show: Bon Jovi.
- Navel Academy (Best Bellybutton Appearance): Britney Spears.
- Favorite Video: "Lady Marmalade," Christina, Lil'Kim, Mya and Pink.
- Best Actor in a Video: Christopher Walken, "Weapon of Choice" (artist Fatboy Slim).
- There's No "I" In Team (Bes Collaboration): "What's Going On," various artists.
- Coolest Fan Website: Nancies.org (for Dave Matthews Band).
- Big In Japan (International Award): Coldplay.
By Anthony Breznican © MMI The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed