Love, Lies, Murder?

Surprising Arrest In Disappearance Of Janet March

Perry March says the evening started with a relatively normal family dinner. It was after he put their two children to bed, Perry says, that he and Janet began to argue.

"You know, it's the kind of argument that you have when you're both tired of the arguments. She had made a decision that she was going to take a vacation," he recalls.

His wife was going away, Perry says, for 12 days, and was to come back just in time for their son Sammy's sixth birthday on August 27.

"She had prepared a list for me of a lot of things that needed to be done. Change the light bulbs, balance my checkbook, clean the basement, you know, just a various list of things that I had seemed to have dropped the ball on in the course of my ten years with her," he remembers. "And she made me sign her list, that I would have these things done when she got back and she said, 'See ya,' and the door turned and she started her Volvo and she drove off."

No one else, not even Janet's parents, knew she was going away.

Carolyn Levine says Perry called at midnight on August 15 to tell them Janet had left.

"I said 'Perry, Don't worry about it, I'm sure if you had an argument she's upset, she's probably driving around to cool off, she'll be back. Call me when she comes home,'" Levine remembers.

But Janet didn't come back in the morning and Carolyn Levine says she began to worry about her daughter.

Perry says he thought his wife might be luxuriating at a hotel, and that her disappearance was a "stunt" to make him understand what life as a young mother was like.

Perry says he became worried after the third or fourth day. "Because I knew what she had taken with her, and I knew it wasn't the amount of things that she needed for an extended period of time."

When Janet didn't call home, her husband and her parents started looking for her. They called her friends. They went to the airport parking lot and looked for her car in the parking lot. They called hotels in Nashville and out of state. What they didn't do, oddly enough, is call the police.

Perry says he didn't call police because he says the Levines forbade him to call the authorities. "They were very concerned that if we reported something to the authorities it would end up embarrassing Janet, and that would make my situation with her worse," he says.

But the Levines say it was Perry who didn't want to call the police. "Perry insisted he didn't want to go to the police, he wanted to see a private investigator," says Larry Levine.

Perry calls that an "outright lie."

You can believe Janet's husband or not, but the fact is that the family waited a full two weeks before Perry and his father-in-law walked into a police station in Nashville and reported that Janet was missing.

Why did it take two weeks?

"Well, that's my mistake. That's my mistake. Because I was living with these people, I loved these people," Perry says.

And Larry Levine also says they made a mistake. "But Perry kept telling us maybe she went here, maybe she went there."

"He told us a story. And unfortunately I believed him," Carolyn Levine adds.