Watch CBSN Live

Fireworks: A Holiday Hazard

Fireworks can get you into trouble this holiday, regardless of age and experience. Many people will be celebrating this Independence Day in the emergency room, like 11-year-old Tasha Moore from Omaha, Neb.

She thought she was lighting a candle. It turned out to be a firecracker. She says once exploded, she picked it up and threw it in the sink. She lost the tips of her fingers in the accident, and she had to get stitches on her side. Her mother wants parents to know fireworks are not toys.

"Everyone can get together and have a barbecue, if that's what you want to do. But to just light explosives - I consider firecrackers being explosive - that is dangerous," says mother Maria Moore. "It can...can be detrimental, 'cause it could have caused her her life." She adds that she didn't even know the firecracker was in the house.

On the other end of the spectrum, two fireworks technicians remain hospitalized in Springfield, Ill., after an explosion at a fireworks display Friday night.

A nursing supervisor says both have severe burns. Four other people suffered minor injuries. The local sheriff says the accident happened shortly after the show began, but investigators haven't determined what went wrong.

Investigators also don't know if the explosion was related to technical glitches that delayed the start of the show for more than an hour.