Daisy And The Crazy

Dear Mike,

My 24-year-old-son is depressed and was dismissed from college because he said he cannot cope with the academic pressures. He was going to a psychiatrist while in school but he totally stopped the visits including his medication. What should I do?


Get in touch with a psychiatrist right away and get him into treatment again. If his leg were broken, you'd say we're going to the hospital, immediately.

There's a lot going on here, not just school and pressure. When people stop taking medication they often self-medicate with drugs or gambling. He doesn't want to be back home at age 24.

People with depression can lead productive lives. They may have to spend the rest of their life on medication but this is something people can conquer.