Col. Russell Williams: Killer in command?

Stolen lingerie, sexual assault, murder and a top military commander's secret life

Name, Rank and Serial Killer? 42:12

Russell Williams may be a colonel now, but his college roommate, Jeff Farquhar, says back then, his buddies just called him "Sarge."

"We had the cleanest residence around," Farquhar tells Susan Spencer, describing him as a "take charge" kind of guy.

A control freak who loved the movies. Farquar says after a painful breakup, Williams started going to the movies a lot. "He had been seeing the movie 'Top Gun,'" he says.

Williams memorized the dialogue and seemed to model his life on "Top Gun."

"He said, 'You know, I think I want to get into the air force..." Farquhar recalls. "But, as I found out later on, his career climbed and climbed."

Russell Williams spoke at Farquhar's 1995 wedding. Williams' wife of 4 years, Mary Elizabeth Harriman, was there too.

"Oh, she was great. I thought she was a very good fit," Farquhar says. "She was very well educated. I believe she had an MBA."

"Did he seem just head over heels in love?" Spencer asks. "Or was this something, you know..."

"Yeah, it did sound like did sound like that," he replies. "And, I was happy for him, absolutely."

In 2004, they bought a lakefront cottage on Cosy Cove Lane in Tweed, several hours from Ottawa. It was convenient to the base, so when Williams because base commander, he lived there fulltime, with Mary Elizabeth joining him on weekends.

"I could tell they were very much in love, yeah. He would do anything for her," says next door neighbor, Monique.

The Williams, who had no kids of their own, became good friends with Monique and her family.

Monique, who asked that "48 Hours" not use her last name, says, "We hit it off right away."

"He paid a lot of attention to your kids?" Spencer asks Monique.

"He acted like a big kid himself," she replies.

When Monique's then-12-year-old daughter, Miranda, got a school assignment to profile someone with a successful career, she picked her pal, Col. Williams.

"He took a lotta interest in how I did in school," Miranda says. "So I went over one day and just me and him sat in his living room."

"You looked up to him?" Spencer asks.

"Yes, for sure."

And her mother trusted him, never dreaming that one day police investigating a series of violent crimes would call him in for questioning, which is growing more tense by the minute.

Cop: Right now, there's a search warrant being executed...and your vehicles have been seized, OK.You and I both know they're going to find evidence that links you to these situations.

It was the second of those "situations," that involved Laurie Massicotte, whose terrifying experience took place on Sept. 30, 2009.

"Ate my dinner in front of the TV...and the last thing I remember," she says, "I fell asleep watching 'Law & Order.'"

At about 1 a.m., Massicotte says she woke up with a blanket over her head. "I couldn't breathe...something was choking me around my neck...something was very heavy on my chest," she says.

Someone was punching her in the face; she saw stars. Her attacker told her to cooperate, be quiet. Massicotte had no idea who he was.

"I was panicking," she continues. "And I just said, 'Please...please...I don't want to die.' I was begging on the lives of my children. It was just like a bad dream."

Telling her to look away, the intruder replaced the blanket with a blindfold and tied her hands behind her back.

"I'm sweating. My wrists are killing me, my head is name it," she recalls. "I got this sick feeling in my stomach... I think I'm gonna be sick."

She said so, and his reaction shocked her.

"He got me Tylenols. He fixed my blindfold. He patted me on the head and apologized for hitting me so hard," she says. "I felt that this person had a conscience."

If so, it wasn't conscience enough to make him stop.

"I felt a knife...and he kept telling me to hold still."

He next slipped something over her head - a kind of homemade harness.

"...and all of a sudden I hear this, this, his breathing changed. short breaths, just like breathing really heavy...and he said to me, 'I need to take some pictures of you.'"

The camera's red light flashed through the blindfold... and the picture taking began.

"The next thing I feel, all of a sudden with one slice, just like that...he sliced my clothes off," Massicotte continues. "Now I'm asking him, 'You're going to rape me.' 'No, I'm not going to rape you, Laurie.'"

And indeed, he didn't, degrading her instead in other ways and documenting every single act.

"He made me different angles...and he was circling all around me all the time taking these pictures. I just figured I know what's going to happen now..."

Then - suddenly - it stopped. Having terrorized Massicotte for more than three hours, the man simply left. It was about 4:30 a.m.

"I waited half an hour before I made the 911 call. I was in shock that I was even still alive," she says.

Massicotte was even more shocked when police admitted there'd been a similar crime right down the street 11 days earlier. Ontario Provincial Police didn't make an effort to publicize it.

"I couldn't believe it," she says. "It could have been prevented."

Ontario Provincial Police refused "48 Hours"' request for an interview, leaving unanswered the question of why they only warned the neighbors after Laurie Massicotte was attacked.

"We knew about the Tweed incidents, about the bad incidents in Tweed. We knew there was something really wrong there," says Anne Marsand Cook.

Two months later, when Cook found some sex toys missing from her home in nearby Belleville, she just thought someone was playing a joke.

She fetched a neighbor to talk things over and they decided not to call police - sex toys were just too embarrassing. So they locked up and left for the night.

Cook says she came back the next morning, hurrying to get ready for work. That's when she noticed an ominous message on her computer, which says: "Go the police...I'll tell the judge your really big dildoes..."

"I just screamed," Cook says. "I felt this, this wave of fear."

That fear grew dramatically when she realized the intruder had overheard the discussion about calling the cops. He had been there, somewhere, hiding in the house.

"You just hope it doesn't happen to you or somebody close to you..." Cook says in tears. She tells Spencer in a whisper, "I feel very lucky."

Especially since the "Tweed Creeper" was about to strike yet again... this time, with deadly results.