Live

Watch CBSN Live

Chiefs Say No To RB Phillips


If troubled running back Lawrence Phillips ever resumes his NFL career, it won't be in Kansas City.

"We made a decision we're going to go in another direction," Chiefs coach Marty Schottenheimer said Tuesday, one day after disclosing he had had a face-to-face meeting with Phillips in Kansas City. "We evaluated the information available to us both through research as well as personal interviews."

The Chiefs said Phillips' off-the-field troubles were taken into account as they would have been with any other prospect.

Related Links
  • Training Camp Central
  • Game Plan

    Forum: Will another team take a chance on Phillips?


  • "We looked at Lawrence in the same light we look at every player," Schottenheimer said.

    Media and public opinion had been running strongly against signing Phillips, who had been cut by St. Louis and Miami, but Schottenheimer said that played no

    Lawrence Phillips
    Phillips won't be carrying the ball for the Chiefs. (AP)
    part in the decision.

    "I don't ever listen to the talk shows and I haven't read a newspaper in a few days, so that wasn't a factor," Schottenheimer said. "We took the process we've always taken. That gives you the best opportunity to make the right decision."

    Phillips was suspended by Nebraska two games into the 1995 season after he pleaded no contest to assaulting a former girlfriend.

    He skipped his senior season and was taken by the Rams in the first round of the draft. But his 19 months in St. Louis were marked by three arrests and 23 days in jail for violating probation after a drunken-driving arrest in California. The Rams released him last Nov. 20 and within two weeks, he had been signed by the Dolphins.

    The Dolphins releaed him this summer after a woman in Plantation, Fla., accused him of becoming violent when she refused to dance with him.

    © 1998 SportsLine USA, Inc. All rights reserved