The promo is merely the latest in a chain of juvenile, porny advertising that BK and other fast food chains -- with the noticeable exception of McDonald's (MCD) -- have engaged in over the last few years. Examples include Hardee's "Name Our Holes" campaign, Quiznos "2 Girls 1 Sub" effort and its "Put It In Me" commercial for its torpedo sandwich, as well as BK's previous "blow your mind" ad. The effort is sure to offend some because it's sexist, and others because it displays such little imagination. (Pine Sol proved recently that sexy ads need not be brainless.)
BK's marketing director in the U.K. is female. Sarah Power said in a statement that she doubtless cringed while writing:
"Our shower-cam gives hungry Brits the chance to watch the BK Shower Girl singing in the shower every day to help them work up an appetite for our fantastic new breakfast range."When asked by Ad Age to explain why BK is seemingly uninterested in its female consumers the company said:
"Our research showed that breakfast is a male-centric audience for Burger King; it doesn't resonate as well with women -- we are targeting the people who are buying breakfast."So, it's all the fault of women for not buying breakfast at BK!
- Was Klein's Departure From Burger King Linked to Franchisee Ad Lawsuit?
- The Burger Chain Sex Wars: Hardee's "Holes" Campaign Is Latest in Juvenile Trend
- Burger King's Klein Disappears Following Ad Woes; Crispin Left Hanging
- Burger King Ad Fight: The Worst-Case Scenario for Crispin Porter + Bogusky
- Burger King's Apology for Hindu Goddess Ad Is Not the First of Its Kind
- Are Today's Ads More Sexist Than They Were 40 Years Ago?
- Quiznos Continues Porn-Themed Advertising with "2 Girls 1 Sub" Playboy Tie-in
- Quiznos Airs Gay "Torpedo" Ad -- Not That There's Anything Wrong With That
- Porn TV Channels to Begin Advertising in Fight Against Falling Revenues