Watch CBSN Live

Bengals's Moore In ICU

Cincinnati Bengals safety Kelvin Moore was in stable condition Saturday at a hospital in Pontiac, Mich., a day after he broke a vertebra in his neck while making a tackle in an exhibition game against the Detroit Lions.

Moore continued to have feeling in his arms and legs, team Dr. Robert Heidt Jr. said.

"It's premature to make a final statement, but all indications are for an excellent recovery," Heidt said. "He will, however, face an extended period of convalescence and rehabilitation."

"He will not be able to play football this season. Beyond that, regarding football, it's too soon to speculate."

Moore, 24, spent most of his rookie season on the Bengals' practice squad. He came in as an extra defensive back in passing situations during the first two exhibition games this year.

He will remain at POH Medical Center for another one to three days, then will be transferred to USC University Hospital in Los Angeles, near his family's home.

"You never know in a situation like that," Bengals coach Bruce Coslet said Saturday. "That's what you're wishing for and hoping for (a full recovery), but this is completely out of my realm. Until he goes through rehab, who knows? It's encouraging what they told us today. We'll just wait and see."

Moore was carted off the Silverdome field after his head hit the knee of a Detroit wide receiver awkwardly during the third quarter of the Bengals' 16-0 loss.

Cincinnati's Kelvin More was removed from the field after his neck injury Friday night.
The game was delayed about 12 minutes as medical personnel placed him on a backboard, fitted him with a neck brace and carted him away. He soon regained sensation in his arms and legs.

Moore's injury brought back memories of other football injuries involving members of the Bengals and Lions. Former Lions Mike Utley was paralyzed after landing on his head in a game in 1991 and Reggie Brown sustained a neck injury two years ago that forced him to retire.

In 1996, Bengals guard Scott Brumfield suffered a spinal cord concussion that put him in a wheelchair for weeks. He recovered to play again.

Moore signed with the Bengals as a rookie free agent from Morgan State last year. He played in the first two exhibition games, was waived and then signed to the team's practice squad.

Moore was added to the active roster for the last four games, replacing Tremain Mack, and appeared on special teams, making three tackles.

"We kept him around here last year. He's a smart kid and he's fast, he's strong, he's got the right size for the position, he's got the right instincts. It's just too bad this has got to happen," Coslet said.

The Bengals allowed safety Myron Bell to stay with Moore and his family in Michigan when the rest of the team returned from the game.

"He just wanted to be there with him last night," Coslet said. "I told Myron to stay as long as you feel it's helpful and get back when you can. They're close friends."

Long snapper Greg Truitt injured a knee in Friday night's game, which left the Bengals 0-2. An MRI on Saturday found a partial tear of the anterior cruciate ligament and torn cartilage.

The Bengals didn't know whether Truitt would be able to play this season.

©1999 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed

View CBS News In