Last Updated Sep 30, 2009 2:51 PM EDT
That turns out to be the tip of AZ's iceberg. The AmLaw litigation Daily notes AZ faces a bunch of state litigation on the same issue:
AstraZeneca doesn't have a great track record in these state AWP suits. In 2008 a state court jury in Montgomery awarded the State of Alabama $250 million in a Medicaid drug pricing fraud case against the pharma company. (The award was later reduced to $160 million and is on appeal.) On the other hand, Kentucky juries may not be as open-handed as Alabama's. Kentucky's previous AWP trial, against Sandoz, resulted in a relatively small $16 million verdict.Some diligent Google searching reveals this retracted summary of AWP litigation from plaintiffs' lawyer site The Jere Beasley Report. The takeaway is that the states have been pretty successful at extracting either verdicts or settlements, not only from AZ but other companies entangled in fraudulent drug-pricing allegations also:
- AstraZeneca â€" $250 Million reduced by the trial court to $160 Million
- GlaxoSmithKline â€" $81 Million
- Novartis â€" $33 Million
- Sandoz â€" $78.4 Million.
- Sandoz - $16 Million
- Sandoz - $9 Million
- September: Kentucky v AstraZeneca
- October: Hawaii v Watson
- November: Hawaii v Sandoz
- January: Hawaii v GlaxoSmithKline and Novartis; Wisconsin v J&J.
... Alabama has settled with fifteen companies for $124.5 million, the most of any of the litigating states.
- AZ Loses $13M Zoladex Appeal in "Do the Math!" Case
- AZ Call Notes Expose Secret Life of Seroquel Reps -- And It's Mostly Scandal-Free
- AstraZeneca Q2: $593M Seroquel Legal Bill Taps Out Insurance; Income Charges Expected
- Bad News for AstraZeneca on Seroquel Resumes After Brief Respite
- Seroquel Lawyers: AstraZeneca Has Lulled Itself Into a False Sense of Security
- AstraZeneca Seems to Be Winning the War Against Seroquel
- AstraZeneca to Seroquel Patient: You Have Diabetes Because You're Black
- Seroquel Trial: More Emails From MacFadden, AZ's Sex-for-Studies Exec, Emerge
- AZ Seroquel Emails Detail Off-Label Promotion; What Did CEO Brennan Know?
- AstraZeneca Q1: Seroquel Sales Up; Faces 10,000 Lawsuits; Company Thinks It Will Beat the Rap