Watch CBS News

Dodgers Fan Fatally Stabbed Following Bay Area Giants Game

SAN FRANCISCO ( — Two suspects were in custody Thursday and two more were outstanding in connection with the fatal stabbing of a Dodgers fan following a Dodgers-Giants game in San Francisco, police said.

According to San Francisco police, two fights between two groups of friends broke out around 11:40 p.m. Wednesday near AT&T Park after the Giants beat Los Angeles, 6-4.

Jonathan Denver, along with his brother, father, and two friends, left the game during the eighth inning and went to a local bar. The group, which was clad in Dodger gear, left the bar around 11:30 p.m. and shortly thereafter encountered a group of Giants fans who were leaving an area nightclub, police said.

Dodgers Fan Fatally Stabbed Following Bay Area Giants Game

"There was a back-and-forth about the Giant-Dodger rivalry, which deteriorated into a physical fight," Chief Greg Suhr said at a news conference. "There was an initial fight and nobody was seriously injured and then that fight stopped. And then for whatever reason, one or more the parties wouldn't let it go and there was second altercation and that's where the stabbing occurred."

Denver, 24, was transported to a local hospital, where he died from his injuries, according to the San Francisco Medical Examiner's office.

At the time of his death, Denver worked as a plumber's apprentice at North Coast Plumbing in Fort Bragg where he moved to about two and a half years ago after living with his father in Alhambra.

Neighbors say his father works as a security guard at Dodger Stadium.

CBS2's Tom Wait, reporting from San Francisco, said the suspect charged with homicide has been identified as 21-year-old Michael Montgomery of Lodi.

Police said the suspects did not attend the game and at least one was wearing a Giants hat during the altercation.

CBS2's Dave Lopez reported that Denver was in San Francisco with his brother celebrating their dad's 49th birthday.

The San Francisco Giants released a statement Thursday afternoon:

"We were deeply saddened to learn of last night's horrific incident that occurred several blocks from the ballpark and resulted in the tragic death of 24-year old Jonathan Denver. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family during this difficult time.

While details are still emerging, we want to be clear that there is absolutely no place in our community for this type of senseless violence.

The Giants are working with the San Francisco Police Department to step up enforcement in and around the ballpark tonight and throughout the rest of this final home stand. We will also observe a moment of silence in memory of Mr. Denver before tonight's game."

San Francisco fan Bryan Stow, a Santa Cruz paramedic, was severely beaten after an opening day game between the Giants and Dodgers in March 2011 in the parking lot of Dodger Stadium.

San Francisco Giants fan Bryan Stow was severely beaten in the parking lot of Dodger Stadium in March 2011. (credit: Facebook)

Police say the motive behind the attack stemmed from an inter-team rivalry.

Louie Sanchez, 29, and 30-year-old Marvin Norwood were arrested in July 2011 and are currently awaiting trial.

Stow, who suffered brain damage in the attack, is recovering at home after spending two years in hospitals and rehabilitation centers.

A portion of the ticket proceeds from this week's three-game series versus the Dodgers were being donated to the Bryan Stow Fund.

In Sept. 2003, a 25-year-old man, described by family as a San Francisco Giants fan, was shot to death in the parking lot of Dodger Stadium.

The Dodgers released the following statements via Twitter:

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.