Watch CBS News

Second Ebola Patient Arrives At Emory Hospital In Atlanta

ATLANTA (CBSDFW.COM) – The second of two Ebola-stricken American patients is back on home soil, after contracting the disease while doing missionary work in Africa.

Around noon local time, missionary Nancy Writebol arrived in an ambulance at Emory University hospital under unprecedented security, which was was on par with that of a Presidential motorcade, according to Atlanta Police.

The ambulance driver, outfitted in a protective suit, pulled up to the emergency room where two people, also wearing protection, rolled Writebol inside on a stretcher. The 59-year-old is said to be in stable condition. However, her son was quoted yesterday as saying she's still struggling to recover.

Both Writebol and Dr. Kent Brantly, a Fort Worth doctor, received an experimental drug before departing Africa.  The two will be housed near each other at Emory, but will remain isolated inside a medically secure wing of the hospital.  Visitors are separated by glass and all the lab work will be conducted inside the protected area to keep the disease from getting out of the building.

The charity organization that sent Writebol to Africa described her as a deeply devout Christian who has helped children around the world with her husband. It also expressed confidence that bringing her back to Emory would ensure the best care possible.

Writebol has been able to speak to her husband who remains isolated in Liberia because of concerns he could be exposed.

"We are tremendously relieved that our mother is back in the United States," said Writebol's son, Jeremy, in a statement.  "We are thankful for everyone who has prayed with us for this moment."

After Writebol's arrival in Atlanta, Dr. Brantly's wife, Amber, issued the following statement:

"I have been able to see Kent every day, and he continues to improve. I am thankful for the professionalism and kindness of Dr. Ribner and his team at Emory University Hospital. I know that Kent is receiving the very best medical treatment available.  I am also thrilled to see that Nancy arrived safely in Atlanta today. Our families are united in our faith in Jesus, and we will walk through this recovery time together."

Although both patients are reportedly getting better, there are still questions about how long they will stay hospitalized in Atlanta.  It is also unclear whether the patients could relapse because this is the first time the experimental drug has been tested on humans.

(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Latest News:

Top Trending:



View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.