DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) - Atmos Energy confirms 25 homes so far have been evacuated near Webb Chapel Road in Northwest Dallas due to a possible gas leak.
Atmos also confirmed crews were evacuating families at the 18-unit, Chapel Creek Apartments (Phase 1) near Webb Chapel due to the ongoing possible gas leak.
"We were kind of lucky we didn't have to evacuate before‚Ä¶until now," said evacuated resident Crystal Nunnally.
Crews responded after reports of a smell of natural gas.
Dallas Fire-Rescue went door-to-door alerting homeowners Wednesday evening and told them to pack their essentials and head out.
Homes along Linda Drive and Nogales Drive near Webb Chapel are affected by the evacuations.
Atmos said it does not have a timeline of how long folks will be out of their homes.
Those impacted being sent to the resource center and the Elegante Hotel during this mandatory evacuation.
"I appreciate the fact that they're trying to be real cautious and trying to make sure they do whatever they need to do to make it right," said Nunnally.
"Just enough for a few days. She has clothes for work. I had to grab clothes for work. I had to grab my dog," said Justin Nunnally.
The evacuations also happened just blocks from where 12-year-old Linda Rogers died after her family's home exploded during a gas leak in February.
"Until that little girl got killed, I think people just weren't aware how dangerous it was," said Nunnally.
for more features.