Watch CBS News

DPD: Street Racing Teens Suspected In Fatal New Years Crash

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Olivia Silva-Gonzales is still struggling to comprehend the sudden loss of her husband in a New Year's Day crash that police suspect was caused by two carloads of teenagers street racing.

"I'm just in a daze…it's unreal," she said. "They have changed my life… and my kids' [ lives ].  My daughter was on the scene, saying 'Mommy, this is just a dream.  I just want to wake up, Mommy, wake up from this dream…' and it was not a dream."

Elias Silva-Gonzales, 43, worked as a custodian at DFW airport.  He had worked the overnight shift New Year's Eve and was just miles from home on Sunday, when a teenager driving an SUV crashed into his pickup as he was turning left onto Peoria from Singleton in West Dallas.

Witnesses told police that just prior to the crash, the teenager driver had been racing another vehicle — a teenager is suspected of being behind the wheel, as well.

On Monday, Dallas Police confirmed that the suspects in the case were juveniles but, say no charges have been filed and that the investigation could take weeks to complete.

"They took a good man, a father, an uncle, husband and son," said Silva-Gonzales' wife of 11 years, Olivia.

She says she will miss the man that she called her 'soul mate'… but, most of all, she says she will miss the kind of father he was to the couple's two children, a 10 year old boy and 8 year old girl.

"He liked to spend time with his kids… taking them to the park, to the zoo… just being a family man, a very good man," Silva-Gonzales said.

Both children, she says, are full of questions, but still manage to comfort her.

"One of them says, 'esta con dios,' meaing he's with Jesus right now… and the other one says Poppy's in our hearts, he'll always be in our hearts… so it's just tearing me apart," the widow said.

Olivia is also worried about how she will provide for her family.  She says her husband worked hard but the family had no life insurance. She also lost her job in October.

Still, the heartbroken widow is clinging to the touching moment when she last saw her husband alive.  It was New Year's Eve, and Elias was about to leave for work.

"He walked outside and he looked up at the stars and he came back in and he had tears in his eyes, and I said 'what are you doing?'  He said he was praying for another good year, happy that we were alive, everybody was okay and in good health … and the next day, he's dead."

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.