Watch CBS News

Dirty And Dangerous; Woman Loses Sight In Eye After Mud Run

Follow CBSDFW.COM: Facebook | Twitter

COLLIN COUNTY (CBSDFW.COM) – A young woman went blind in one eye within 24 hours after catching a flesh-eating bacteria during a mud run in Dallas this month.

"My eye started hurting, like maybe I've got mud or some debris in there," said Brittany Williams, who finished her first mud run two weeks ago. "When I opened my eye, it was just like white. The whole room was white."

Williams said the debris cut her eye, allowing flesh-eating bacteria to destroy her cornea. "It just completely melted off of my eye."

A mother with two jobs, Williams spent a week in the hospital. Her medical bills are $100,000 and she doesn't have health insurance.

"I've had health insurance before and I never used it. I never went to the doctor and I just spent lots of money for nothing. So I didn't see the point at the time when we couldn't afford it," said Williams.

Her family is raising money through a GoFundMe account for treatment to prevent the bacteria from spreading throughout Williams' body.

"You don't think you're going to go to the doctor and someone's gonna say you owe $3,000 for eye drops," said Williams, who compared her experience to a horror movie.

Despite her painful, gruesome ordeal, Williams has remained optimistic.

"Even though people go through horrible things, I make the best of it. Because there's no point in sitting and sulking, because it's just going to make the rest of my days miserable," she said.

There's a chance Williams' will eventually regain her vision with surgery. Several local doctors however have denied her treatment since she lacks insurance.

(©2015 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)


View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.