Watch CBS News

Dallas County Deputy Awaits Ebola Test Results

Follow CBSDFW.COM: Facebook | Twitter

Update October 9 at 12:30 pm  DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) -  Texas Health Presbyterian released an update to Dallas County Sheriff's deputy Michael Monnig, who is being observed at the hospital for possible signs of Ebola.

Monnig's condition is listed as good, with no fever, vomiting or diarrhea.  His condition is not consistent with an early stage Ebola diagnosis, according to the statement provided by the hospital.

Test results from the state lab in Austin are expected later today.

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) - Just hours after the death of Thomas Duncan, the first person diagnosed with the Ebola virus in the United States, a deputy with the Dallas County Sheriff's Department was rushed to Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas on Wednesday with some similar Ebola symptoms.

Michael Monnig is now in isolation at the hospital, waiting for test results to confirm whether or not he too has the Ebola virus. Those results may not arrive for another two days.

The deputy started feeling ill on Wednesday morning, just a few days after becoming involved with Duncan. Monnig had no direct contact with the first Ebola patient, but he was at the apartment unit where Duncan had stayed prior to being admitted to the hospital. Monnig served a quarantine order to Duncan's family.

Monnig's son said that the deputy was feeling fatigued and had flu-like symptoms, which are similar to what Ebola patients experience in the early stages of sickness. Monnig went to a CareNow clinic in Frisco on Wednesday complaining of stomach pains, and told the facility's personnel about his contact with the Ebola patient.

Doctors at the clinic felt that Monnig met the preliminary guidelines for Ebola as given by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. That is why he was rushed to the hospital.

However, family members maintain that there is no cause for concern. "He was in the apartment for 30 minutes. We were told there was no way he contracted the virus," said son Logan Monnig. "We're very, kind of scared, just want to make sure he's okay."

The deputy was not among the group of nearly 50 individuals who were being monitored by health officials, because he had no direct contact with Duncan. Dallas County health director Zach Thompson said that Monnig is most likely just sick with the flu.

Complete Coverage Of Ebola In North Texas

Monnig's vehicle was still parked in front of the Frisco clinic late Wednesday, but it was removed early Thursday. The clinic plans to remain closed on Thursday in order to undergo a deep cleaning by the same company that decontaminated The Ivy Apartments, where Duncan had stayed.

Crews have also finished cleaning the hospital room where Duncan was treated before his death, along with the hallway leading to that room. Any trace of the Ebola patient is now gone, except for some hospital equipment that was used during his stay. The 15-member hazmat crew bagged up everything -- including bedding materials and Duncan's clothes -- for another company to retrieve. The items will then be burned.

Meanwhile, the Lewisville Independent School District issued a statement Wednesday night, because one of Monnig's children attends The Colony High School in the district. "We have communicated with the Denton County Health Department," the note said. "There is no reason to quarantine anyone, and there is no reason to close a school."

Most students on Thursday morning said that they felt comfortable coming to classes. "I think they know what they're doing, so that's why they let us come," said Carlos Delatorre. "I guess there's still some students that are skeptical, and their parents as well."

Latest News:

Top Trending:

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.