Waters Fine Coastal Cuisine
2901 Crockett St.
Fort Worth, TX 76107
Jon Bonnell, Cowtown's finest seafaring chef and owner of Bonnell's Fine Texas Cuisine and Waters restaurants, offers a tasty ceviche recipe that can be served either as an appetizer or a dip. Bonnell also features this recipe in his new cookbook, "Waters Fine Coastal Cuisine." Bonnell says that flash grilling the fish beforehand gives the ceviche a deliciously rustic flavor. Plan ahead for this dish as it takes two days to prepare.
Ceviche of Grilled Striped Bass
- 6 ounces fresh Texas striped bass (snapper, grouper or catfish may be substituted)
- 2 ounces purple onion, finely chopped
- 1 Roma tomato, finely diced, seeds removed
- 1 serrano chile, seeds and veins optional (jalapeño or habañero chilies may be substituted)
- 6 limes
- 8-10 sprigs fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Freshly fried corn tortilla chips sprinkled with sea salt as an accompaniment
De-bone and skin fish, then grill quickly over high heat just enough to create grill marks, leaving the center raw. Cut cooled fish into medium dice, combine with onions and the juice of 5 limes and refrigerate overnight. On the second day, drain and discard liquid before combining fish with the rest of the ingredients, including the lime juice from the remaining lime. Serve chilled with tortilla chips.
Related: Fourth Of July Party Essentials
3 Stacks Smoke & Tap House
4226 Preston Road
Frisco, TX 75034
Not only will you find mouthwatering BBQ at 3 Stacks Smoke House, but you'll also find some delicious sides to go with it, including a scrumptious cheesy corn bake that co-owner and pit-master Trace "The Rib Whisperer" Arnold has shared. This dish can be made ahead of time and reheated before serving.
Cheesy Corn Bake
- 1 cup fresh corn kennels or 1 can of corn
- 1 can cream corn
- 8 oz sour cream or cream cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 stick of butter, melted
- 1 box of Jiffy cornbread mix
- 1/4-1/2 cup of jalapeño or other chilies
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine all of the ingredients (except the grated cheese) in a large bowl and place mixture in an oiled 9x13 inch pan. Top with grated cheese and bake for 55-60 minutes.
Samson's Gourmet Hot Dogs
2615 Oak Lawn Ave., Suite 104
Dallas, TX 75219
www.samsonshotdogs.com There's nothing more traditional than grilling hot dogs on the Fourth of July. But instead of the usual mustard or mayo dressing, take your weenies from dull to delicious with a smoked chipotle sauce recipe from Troy Gardner of Samson's Gourmet Hot Dogs. Gardner serves this sauce at his restaurant on smoked brats with chipotle chili, smoked paprika hummus, guacamole and cheddar. The sauce goes well with an assortment of toppings and it's also awesome on burgers.
Smoked Chipotle Sauce
- 3 cups ketchup
- 2 roasted garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 small onion, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked chipotle powder
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
Over medium heat, sauté onions and garlic in sesame oil until lightly browned. Stir in the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes. Serve at room temperature.
for more features.