Watch CBS News

Man Charged With Murder In Death Of CPS Hoops Star

CHICAGO (CBS) -- Authorities have charged a Far South Side man with the murder a former star athlete last month.

As WBBM Newsradio's Keith Johnson reports, the victim, Michael Haynes, 22, was killed just months before he was set finally to achieve his goal of playing Division I college basketball.

LISTEN: WBBM Newsradio's Keith Johnson reports


Cinque Lee, 20, of the 11600 block of South Vincennes Avenue, was charged just after 6 p.m. Wednesday with one count of first-degree murder in Haynes' slaying, said Cook County State's Attorney's office spokeswoman Tandra Simonton.

Lee will appear at a bond hearing in Violence Court (Br. 66) at noon Thursday, Simonton said.

Haynes, 22, was shot dead while trying to break up a fight among several men over a stolen necklace near his home, said his cousin Kandice Blouin, 25.

Michael Haynes, Athlete Killed
Michael Haynes, 22, was fatally in the Morgan Park neighborhood Thursday. (family handout)

Police said he was shot in the wrist, chest and lower back about 5:10 p.m. in the 11600 block of South Vincennes Avenue. Acquaintances dropped him off at MetroSouth Medical Center in Blue Island, where he was declared dead about 6:25 p.m., authorities said.

Blouin said several men were shoving each other when Haynes pushed the shooter, who pulled out a gun and shot him.

Hayes' basketball career involved a number of destinations. In May he committed to Iona College in New York and it looked like his dream of playing Division I basketball was finally coming true.

"He was an innocent victim, very loved by everybody," Blouin said. "He was our meal ticket. He was going to heal this hood and they took his life."

As a freshman in high school, he averaged 20 points and 10 rebounds at Corliss High School. Sophomore year, he teamed with Deandre Liggins at Washington and led the Minutemen to the city championship game at the United Center, where they lost to Simeon and Derrick Rose.

"When I got the news I was devastated. I was hurt," said Steve Dockery, who coached Haynes at Corliss. "I don't know what's going on anymore.

"I know he had just signed with Iona. He talked with my son [former Duke player Sean Dockery] last week and Sean told him he should get out of Chicago as soon as he could."

Hayes left Washington for Fenger after his junior year, but wasn't eligible to play. He wound up at Heat Academy in Virginia, then committed to University of Texas El Paso but never played there. Haynes eventually landed at Indian Hills Junior College last season, where he played well enough to get offers from a number of Division I schools.

The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.

(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2012. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.