Marc James is breaking down the Top 5 NBA Draft busts of ALL TIME since the 2014 NBA Draft is upon us.
5. MICHAEL OLOWOKANDI: Who would ever draft a player out of the University of Pacific with the #1 Overall Pick in the Draft? Only a Perennial Failed Organization at the owned (at the time) by Bigot Donald Sterling.
He averaged 8.3 Points per game with the Clippers, Timberwolves and Celtics over the course of 10 seasons. The Clips passed on Future Hall of Famers Dirk Nowitzki & Paul Pierce for the "Kandi Man".
4. KWAME BROWN: Selected First overall by then Wizards President/Player Michael Jordan over future All-Stars Joe Johnson, Zach Randolph, Pau Gasol, & Tyson Chandler. After Three seasons in D.C., Brown was truly starting to improve before rejecting a $30 million contract offer to test free agency.
His career has gone through a arrest in 2007, a rape accusation, and an incident where he threw a cake at a fan. I can't make this stuff up.
3. GREG ODEN: At the time, everyone (including yours truly) thought he could be, should be, and would be the "Next Patrick Ewing". However, he could not stay healthy due to numerous knee injuries. Portland passed on Future MVP Kevin Durant & All-Stars Al Horford & Joakim Noah. Ouch! But that wasn't even their Worst Pick Ever.
2. DARKO MILICIC: In what is widely considered the Best & perhaps Deepest Draft of the 21st century, the Pistons took a gamble on what many so-called "Experts" thought could be the Next Dirk Nowitzki in Darko Milicic. Although the Pistons ended up winning the NBA World Title the following year, Team President Joe Dumars will never live down passing on Future Hall of Famers Carmelo Anthony, Dwyane Wade, & Chris Bosh.
1. SAM BOWIE: With the #2 Pick in the Fabled 1984 NBA Draft, the Portland Trailblazers selected Sam Bowie out of Kentucky over "The Greatest Player of All Time" Michael Jordan. Period. But, if that wasn't enough, the Blazers also passed on Future Hall of Famers/Original "DREAM TEAM" Members Charles Barkley & John Stockton.
for more features.