Watch CBS News

CIAA Week 8 Recap

Bowie State 34, Virginia Union 7 

BOWIE, Md. - Bowie State University dominated from beginning to end in a sunny, but very chilly Bulldogs Stadium on Saturday, beating rival Virginia Union University 34-7. The victory snaps a four-game Bowie State losing streak.

The Bulldogs (3-5, 1-4 CIAA) jumped on Virginia Union from the opening kickoff. Redshirt junior Kendall Jefferson returned the kickoff 55 yards to the Virginia Union 45 yard line. Senior Jared Johnston (Dumfries, Va.) connected with sophomore Garry Cropper (Odenton, Md.) for 30 yards on BSU's first play from scrimmage. From there, senior Keith Brown (Temple Hills, Md.) carried the ball three straight plays, scoring from one-yard out. Junior Mario Diaz-Aviles (Washington, D.C.) added the extra point to give the Bulldogs the early 7-0 lead at the 12:59 mark.

Virginia Union (3-5, 3-2 CIAA) tied the score at 7-7 early in the second quarter on a three yard rushing touchdown by Damon Kelly (Orange Park, Md.) and extra point by Troy Krepich (Leesburg, Va.), capping off a nine-play. 41 yard drive.

The Bulldogs put together a 12-play, 82 yard drive on the games very next possession with Brown finding the Panthers end zone again, this time scoring from four yards out.

Bowie State pushed their lead to 21-7 at the 2:09 mark of the second quarter following an interception by junior Anthony McDaniel (Ft. Washington, Md.) at the Panthers 11 yard line. Redshirt junior Khari Lee (Baltimore, Md.) caught a four yard TD bullet for six from Johnston.

Jefferson recorded his seventh touchdown run of the season, scoring on a five yard run with 5:35 left in the third quarter to give the Bulldogs a comfortable 28-7 advantage.

The Bulldogs final points of the game came about following an interception by redshirt sophomore Curtis Pumphrey (Laurel, Md.), his second of the afternoon. Bowie State began the drive at the Virginia Union 35 yard line with 4:21 remaining in the game.

Johnston did most of the damage, rushing for 24 yards and passing for 15 yards, capping off the drive with a seven yard TD run to put the game on ice with 1:19 left on the clock.

Brown rushed for 93 yards on 26 carries, averaging 3.6 yards per carry. Johnston went 8-for-20 in the air for 131 yards and a touchdown.

Lee led the Bowie State receivers with four catches for 46 yards and Cropper had to catches for 50 yards.

Senior Delante White (Temple Hills, Md.) led the Bulldogs defense with 13 tackles, while redshirt sophomore Antoine Young added 11 tackles. Senior Dwayne Price (Ft. Washington, Md.) contributed seven tackles and redshirt freshman Kevaugn Townsend (Ft. Washington, Md.) had five tackles in the win.

Eric Shaw (Washington, D.C.) was the leading offensive producer for VUU's Panthers, rushing for 85 yards on 27 carries. Panthers quarterback Kenneth Graham (Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.) completed 8-of-20 passes for 46 yards. Jamaal Wright caught two of those passes for just six yards. London Byrd (Sanford, Fla.), Tyrell Austin (Miami, Fla.) and Dominique Roane (Richmond, Va.) were tops for the Panthers defense with seven tackles each.

The Bulldogs will return to action on Saturday (November 2nd), taking on The Lincoln University at Bulldogs Stadium at 1 pm. Fifteen seniors will be honored in a special pre-game ceremony.

Shaw 39, Johnson C. Smith 33
CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Shaw University scored three touchdowns in the third quarter, then allowed homestanding Johnson C. Smith back into the game, finally holding off the Golden Bulls for a 39-33 win at the Irwin Belk Complex on the JCSU campus Saturday afternoon.

The Bears, who improve to 5-3 and 3-2 in the CIAA, exacted some small amount of vengeance in the win on Johnson C. Smith's homecoming.  For the last two seasons, JCSU - now 4-4 overall and 2-4 in the conference - downed Shaw on the Bears' homecoming games.

"It feels good to get the win," said Shaw head coach Robert Massey.  "But we didn't look good doing it and we can't play like this and have any chance against Winston-Salem State."

After the Bears built a 32-13, they allowed the Golden Bulls back into the game on the back of penalties.  For the game, Shaw had 11 penalties for 96 yards while the Golden Bulls committed four infractions for 16 yards.  Shaw also struggled with turnovers, fumbling five times in the game, with JCSU recovering three of those.

Starting quarterback Quinshon Odom went down with injury just before the half, and it was left to Trevius Folston to engineer the big third quarter and lead the Bears to the win.

"He played well," said Massey.  "I was pleased.  He came in in a tight spot and held his own."

Folston finished the game four for six for 128 yards and two touchdowns.  He ran for another 17 yards and another touchdown.

The Bears' real strength came on the ground, where Marquise Grizzle crossed the 1,000-yard threshold for the season with a 167-yard performance that included two touchdowns, including a 40-yard sprint that gave Shaw the lead in the final minute of the first half.

The game started slowly for both teams with JCSU opening with a three-and-out, followed by three-and-a-punt for Shaw.  On the next Golden Bull drive, quarterback Keahn Wallace was picked off in the end zone by Thomas Street, giving Shaw back the ball, but on their first play of the drive, Grizzle fumbled the ball, giving JCSU the ball on the nine-yard line.

Three plays later, Wallace hit Avius Capers on a two-yard pass to give JCSU the early 7-0 lead.

After a 47-yard kickoff return by DeShawn Beck, the Bears started near midfield.  They moved to the three-yard line, where Odom fumbled, giving JCSU back the ball in the shadow of their own end zone.

Two plays later, LeAnder Barney was tackled in the endzone by Darius Hall for the safety, trimming the Golden Bull lead to 7-2.

An exchange of field goals made the score 10-5, in favor of JCSU.  With just over two minutes left in the half, Shaw started a drive on their own 28.  Odom opened the drive with a 25-yard strike to Ta'Juan Brown, then three plays later, Grizzle broke off the 40-yard dash, giving Shaw a 12-10 lead with  just over a minute left in the half.

The Shaw defense held JCSU to a three-and-out, then knelt down to end the first half.

The second half did not begin well for Folston as he opened with an incomplete pass, but later rebounded when he found Brown for a 53-yard strike down the sideline for a 19-10 lead.

With 8:52 left in the third quarter, the Golden Bulls hit a field goal to cut the Shaw lead to 19-13.

Two Shaw drives later, Grizzle broke through the line and into the open for a 47-yard run that moved the Bears to the JCSU seven-yard line.  After a JCSU penalty moved the Bears to the two, Folston powered his way through the crowd, scoring the touchdown and giving the Bears a 25-13 lead.

On the next Golden Bull drive, Keith Lomon forced a fumble and teammate Darius Moffett recovered it, giving Shaw the ball on the JCSU 32.

Folston hit David Jordan for 22 yards, and then Grizzle covered the final ten yards for the touchdown and the 32-13 lead with 2:52 left in the quarter.

JCSU scored a touchdown on their next drive, but missed the extra point, cutting the Shaw lead to 32-19.

Early in the fourth, and with Andre Alexander in at quarterback for the Golden Bulls, JCSU drove 80 yards, finally scoring on a pass from Alexander to Capers, making the score 32-26 in favor of Shaw.

The Bears answered with a three-play drive that culminated with a Folston pass to Jordan at the Shaw ten.  Jordan was hit immediately, but he dragged the tackler the ten yards, ending in the end zone for a 39-26 lead.

On the next drive, JCSU drove the length of the field, in part due to a Shaw pass interference penalty that moved the Golden Bulls to the two.  With 3:39 left in the game, Alexander found Evan Jones in the end zone, trimming the Shaw lead to 39-33.

On the second play of the next drive, Grizzle fumbled, giving the Golden Bulls a short field and 2:49 to play.

With the game on the line, the Shaw defense stiffened, driving the Golden Bulls backwards three yards before forcing the failed fourth-down attempt and getting the ball back with 1:49 left, leading to three straight rushes to run out the clock.

The Bears ended the game with 419 yards on offense -- 214 on the ground and 205 through the air.  As a team, Shaw threw the ball only 18 times, finding the mark 13 times and committing no interceptions.

Brown was the leading receiver with three catches for a total of 78 yards and one touchdown.  Jordan finished with 64 yards on three catches and Tyrone Craig had two receptions for 31 yards.

Moffett was the star on defense, amassing 14 tackles - 12 of them solo hits - including two and a half tackles for a loss and one and a half sacks while also recovering two fumbles.

Johnson C. Smith had only 21 yards rushing, while gaining 251 yards through the air.  JCSU put the ball up 49 times, completing 30 and tossing one interception.

Alexander finished the game 18 of 31 for 174 yards and two touchdowns, while Wallace was 12 for 18 with one  interception and one touchdown.  Wallace was sacked three times.

Chris Patterson was the leading receiver for the Golden Bulls with nine catches for 82 yards.  Capers finished with six catches for 51 yards and two touchdowns.  Denzel Harvey was the leading rusher with 42 yards and one touchdown.

Defensively for the Golden Bulls, Damion Miles and Anthony Allen had seven tackles apiece.  Allen recovered a fumble, while Miles had a pass breakup.

Next week, the Bears travel to Winston-Salem to take on the division-leading Winston-Salem State Rams.

"We can't play like we did today and have any hope," said Massey.  "We have to play smarter."

Game time is 1:30 p.m.

Winston-Salem State 40, Livingstone 0

SALISBURY, N.C. -- The #15 Winston-Salem State University Rams broke open a tight game at the half by scoring 33 unanswered second half points and using a stifling defensive effort to cruise to a 40-0 win over the Livingstone College Blue Bears Saturday afternoon in Salisbury, N.C.

The win moves the WSSU Rams to 7-1 overall and 5-0 in the CIAA, and Livingstone falls to 2-6 overall and 1-5 in the CIAA.

In what has become a trend in recent game for the Rams, reared its ugly head early once again, as WSSU got off to another slow start and uncharacteristically turned the ball over.

WSSU's first turnover occurred on a muffed punt by Sidney Lawson the first time the Rams touched the ball.

The #1 ranked Rams defense in the nation stood tall on this afternoon and after the fumble, held Livingstone to a three and out three of their first four possessions.

The Rams would finally get on the board in the second quarter on a Rudy Johnson to Chase Powell 26 yard strike for a score.

WSSU would fumble the ball two more times in the quarter, when Rudy Johnson would put the ball on the ground, as would Chase Powell.

With only a 7-0 lead heading into the half, the Livingstone faithful were boisterous, trying to outdrown the Ram crowd which showed up in big numbers once again.

WSSU would score on their second possession of the half, going on an 11 play, 97 yard drive that was capped off with a Rudy Johnson to Graham Love 12 yard pass to give WSSU a 14-0 lead.

After forcing another Blue Bear punt, the Rams offense would take little time getting the ball into scoring range. This time Rudy Johnson would find Kenneth Patterson open on a slant from 20 yards away for a touchdown. The PAT by Alejandro Suarez was missed, giving WSSU a 20-0 heading into the fourth quarter.

Carlos Field would pick off a Livingstone pass early in the quarter, and on the next play Rudy Johnson found a wide open Joshua Glisson from 16 yards away to give the Rams a 27-0 lead.

The WSSU defense kept the clamps on the Blue Bears and on their next possession, Alfy Hill intercepted a Livingstone pass setting the Rams up at the the LC 35 yard line.

DeShean Townsend would come into the game at quarterback for the Rams and the offense did not miss a beat, as he would find Eric Williams from 34 yards out for another WSSU score, pushing the lead to 33-0.

The next series for Livingstone looked like it was about to end on another interception, as the Rams Daniel Mungin picked off a pass but fumbled scrambling for extra yards and the Blue Bears recovered. But it was short lived, as four plays later Jerome Junior successfully picked off another pass for WSSU.

DeShean Townsend would lead another scoring drive, this time from 77 yards out on nine plays, as Joshua Glisson would take a handoff and score from four yards out to give the Rams the final score of 40-0.

Rudy Johnson led the Rams rushing with 52 yards on 14 carries and Maurice Lewis finished with 50 yards on 13 carries. Joshua Glisson had two carries for 31 yards and a touchdown.

Rudy Johnson completed 23 of 39 pass attempts for 243 yards and four touchdowns, and DeShean Townsend was one of three for 34 yards and a score.

Chase Powell led the receiving corps with seven catches for 73 yards and a touchdown, while Kenneth Patterson finished with four catches for 49 yards and a touchdown. Graham Love had three receptions for 30 yards and a score, while Eric Williams (61 yards) and Joshua Glisson (20 yards) each scored a touchdown. Maurice Lewis and Jarvis Morgan each had two catches for 12 yards and Shane Blue had a catch for 25 yards.

Punter, William Johnson, finished the afternoon with a 36.7 yards per punt average on six punts, with a long of 46 yards and one landing inside the 20-yard line.

Defensively, Chris Howze and Carlos fields led the Rams with seven tackles each, with Howze also picking up 1.5 tackles for loss, while Fields had one tackle for a loss, one pass breakup and one interception. Jerome Junior finished with five tackles, one pass breakup and one interception, while Michael Bloomfield had five tackles including two sacks and three tackles for loss yards. John Rizor also had five tackles with a half a sack and 1.5 tackles for loss. Daniel Mungin also had five tackle to go with a half a tackle for loss and an interception. Five other Rams had three tackles each, with Casey Davenport picking up a half a sack and 2.5 tackles for loss, and Alfy hill had 2.5 sacks, 2.5 tackles for loss and an interception. Jerry Chandler also picked up a half a sack and 1.5 tackles for loss.

Winston-Salem State returns to Bowman Gray Stadium next week to host the Bears of Shaw University. Kickoff is slated for 1:30 p.m.

Fayetteville State 43, Saint Augustine's 19

FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. – Fayetteville State celebrated homecoming with a 43-19 rout of St. Augustine's. The Broncos (5-3 overall, 4-1 CIAA) led at halftime 33-0. The Falcons (3-5 overall, 2-3 CIAA) turned the ball over seven times; for which five were converted into points for FSU.

Derek Bryant  threw for 234 yards and three touchdowns. Tavon Gatlin was on the receiving end of two touchdowns with his four receptions for 50 yards.  Dwayne Lorrick  also had a touchdown with four catches and 53 yards. Andre Montgomery led the running core with 14 carries for 66 yards and one score.

The Broncos lead St. Augustine's 2-1 in homecoming appearances in Luther "Nick" Jeralds Stadium. SAU won 3-15 in 2006; but suffered a 56-6 defeat in 2009. The Broncos boast a 21-11-2 homecoming record since 1980.

Rueben Ortega  grabbed the first turnover of the game with a nine-yard interception on the Falcons first play of the game. Montgomery rushed in for the score seven plays later from six yards out.

Chris Pearson  had a pick-six on St. Augustine's second drive with a return of 31 yards and a 14-0 lead.

St. Augustine's failed on a fourth-and-three attempt and witnessed the Broncos drive 66 yards for a score. Bryant threw ten yards to Gatlin. The failed extra-point kick set the game at 20-0 with 14:07 left in second quarter.

Antonio Mayo  made up for the missed kick with a 33-yard field goal on FSU's next possession.

After the Falcons lost a fumble on their pursuing possession, Bryant hit Lorrick for a 23-yard score and 30-point lead.

As time expired in the first half, Mayo split the uprights again for the 33-0 halftime lead.

The miseries continued for the Falcons when they fumbled once again to start their first drive after intermission. Mayo hit a 27-yard field goal to convert the turnover into points.

St. Augustine's scored their first points of the game following a Bryant interception.  AJ Gilford ran the 11-yard touchdown to cap a five-play 25-yard scoring drive.

Fayetteville State quickly responded to the score with one of their own. The Broncos moved the ball 57 yards and into the end zone with nine plays. Bryant threw his second TD to Gatlin for 29 yards and a 43-7 lead.

On the Falcons first full possession of the fourth quarter, Guilford threw an 18-yard touchdown to Herman Reaves to cut the deficit to 43-13. St. Augustine's scored once again with 4:08 left in the game. Guilford finished a six-play 23-yard drive with a one-yard quarterback keeper.

Fayetteville State will travel to Salisbury next weekend and face the Blue Bears of Livingstone on their homecoming. The Falcons will host Johnson C. Smith.

Virginia State 34, Lincoln 14

LINCOLN UNIVERSITY, Pa. -  Virginia State (7-1, 5-0) extended its winning streak to six with a 34-14 win at Lincoln (Pa.) (1-7, 0-5) in a CIAA Northern Division match-up. The Trojans spoiled Lincoln's Homecoming by putting up points in each quarter while defeating the Lions for the 10th consecutive time.

Jordan Anderson scored three touchdowns and rushed for 150 yards while Lincoln receiver Akeem Jordan caught 12 passes for 95 yards and a touchdown in the contest.

On its first possession, Virginia State drove 65 yards on seven plays culminating in Anderson's one-yard touchdown run. Shawn Hunt's extra point gave The Trojans a 7-0 with 8:32 left in the opening quarter. Lincoln got on the scoreboard on a three-yard pass from Doug Cook to Anthony Green on the first play of the second quarter. The Lions two-point conversion attempt failed leaving the Trojans with a 7-6 advantage.

The Virginia State defense registered its sixth score of the season when Ronald Lewis picked up a Lincoln fumble and rambled 71 yards for a touchdown with 10:55 left in the half to extend Virginia State's lead.

Starting quarterback Justin Thorpe gave way to Tarian Ayres, who saw his first significant action of the season. Ayres showed poise by engineering two third-quarter touchdown drives and another in the fourth quarter as the Trojans took control.

The Trojans drove 69 yards on 10 plays highlighted by Anderson's two-yard scoring run. Later in the quarter, Jaivon Smallwood hauled in an 18-yard pass from Ayres in the end zone extending the lead to 27-6.

After Smallwood caught a 59-yard pass from Ayres on a third-and-13 play for a first down, Anderson tip-toed his way into the end zone from 13 yards out, his third touchdown of the game,  to give the Trojans a commanding 34-6 advantage. Jordan caught a three-yard scoring pass with 4:10 left for the Lions to close out the scoring.

The Trojans play at Chowan next Saturday in a CIAA contest.

Elizabeth City State 37, Chowan 31
MURFREESBORO, N.C.- It took an extra quarter and a fourth down turnover however Elizabeth City State University held on to defeat Chowan University 37-31 in overtime Saturday afternoon at Garrison Stadium.

After the first half combined for 13 points (ECSU led 10-3 at the intermission), the teams scored 49  points over the 3rd and 4th quarters for 31-31 tie at the end of regulation. The Hawks won the coin toss but gave ECSU the first crack on offense from the 25 yard line in the sudden death overtime.

Three plays, a first down and a one yard rush by Petey Boone later, Tyrell Houghton found Javoris Bryant in the corner of the end zone from 14 yards out to break the tie, however the extra point flew wide right and ECSU clung to a 37-31 lead.

The Hawks began their do or die drive from the 25 yard line but the ECSU defense was staunch, yielding only a two yard rush on Chowan's second play from scrimmage. After a third and goal pass attempt to Robert Holland fell incomplete the Hawks faced a final shot to tie and win with a successful extra point conversion.

On what turned out to be the final play of the game CU's Ryan Simpson dropped back and fired a 23-yard strike to Antjuan Randall in the end zone. But while he was airborne the Vikings' Lavonte Baker snatched the ball from Randall's grasp for a game sealing interception, simultaneously spoiling the Hawks' Homecoming.

For the second straight week the Vikings put up over 500 yards offense, finishing the afternoon with 567 total yards. Tyrell Houghton threw for 380 yards on 31-40 passing; his most impressive drive of the day came after the Hawks took their first lead, 31-24, with 4:05 remaining in regulation.

Houghton led the Vikings on a 6 play, 66 yard game drive, tying the contest at 31 apiece on a 15 yard touchdown pass to Darius Wesson. He spread the ball around to nine different receivers and had 4 passing touchdowns on the day; his longest completion of the came after a 5-yard screen pass to Boone went 65 yards for a score at the 7:24 mark in the 3rd quarter.

The Hawks fall to 3-5 overall and 2-3 in conference play.

ECSU (3-5, CIAA 3-2) will hit the road next Saturday when they travel to Richmond, VA to take on Virginia Union University. Game time is scheduled for 1:00pm at Hovey Field in Richmond, VA.

Courtesy of

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.