Curry catastrophe: Contest leads to mass vomiting
EDINBURGH, Scotland - Some like it hot, but contestants at a curry eating contest in Scotland collapsed in agony after biting off more than they could chew at a self-styled "world's hottest chili" competition.
One contestant was hospitalized twice, and others writhed in agony, panting and vomiting after sampling the "Kismot Killer" at a charity eating competition at the Kismot restaurant in Edinburgh on Saturday.
Owner Abdul Ali staged the event to raise money for a children's hospice. He has conceded he'll have to cool things down for next year, after the first 10 contestants became ill and a second group of 10 declined to take part.
Ali said the curry had caused nosebleeds in the past.
All participants signed a disclaimer before tucking in, and the restaurant had provided first aiders, but they were overwhelmed by the number of sick diners.
The Scottish Ambulance Service failed to see the funny side.
"We would urge the organizers to review the way this event is managed in future," it said in a statement.
Popular in Strange
- Clever cat opens five doors in a row to go outside
- Sea lion shows concern after little girl falls
- Bear chasing man up a tree is totally surreal to see
- YouTube marks birthday with music, comedy and cats
- Two humorous moments that end with people soaked
- How to become a YouTube star (with "epic montage")
- See Google Glass through the eyes of a toddler
- Fascinating footage after grizzly bear eats camera
- Seven ways to open wine bottle without corkscrew
- Teen with rare bone cancer inspires through music
- Dead Giveaway: Ohio hero Charles Ramsey gets "songified"
- Cat won't be trying to eat fish in aquarium anymore
- Joe Jonas responds to dance invite with sexy video
- Internet's best marriage proposal videos
- Bluegrass rendition of Daft Punk's "One More Time"
- Are you my mom? Orphaned pig adopted by mother cat