Cat with two faces now in 12th year
A cat with two faces, named Frank and Louie, is walked by the cat's owner at their home in Worcester, Mass., Sept. 28, 2011. The animal is known as a Janus cat, named for the figure in Roman mythology with two faces on one head. The owner calls the face on the left Frank, while the face on the right she identifies as Louie. / AP Photo/Steven Senne
WORCESTER, Mass. - Frank and Louie the cat was born with two faces, two mouths, three eyes, and lots of doubts about his future.
Twelve years after Marty Stevens rescued him from being put to sleep because of his condition, the exotic blue-eyed rag doll cat is not only thriving but has made it into the 2012 Guinness Book of World Records.
He's the longest surviving member of a group known as Janus cats, named for a Roman god with two faces.
Stevens says every day is a blessing because such cats usually survive only for a few days.
These days, the friendly, laid-back Frank and Louie loves riding in the car and taking walks on a leash, though people who come up to pet him are usually shocked when they get close.
Popular in Strange
- Bluegrass rendition of Daft Punk's "One More Time"
- See Google Glass through the eyes of a toddler
- Bear chasing man up a tree is totally surreal to see
- Clever cat opens five doors in a row to go outside
- YouTube marks birthday with music, comedy and cats
- Fascinating footage after grizzly bear eats camera
- Seven ways to open wine bottle without corkscrew
- Teen with rare bone cancer inspires through music
- How to become a YouTube star (with "epic montage")
- An amazing mashup of music in just one minute
- Sea lion shows concern after little girl falls
- Joe Jonas responds to dance invite with sexy video
- Dead Giveaway: Ohio hero Charles Ramsey gets "songified"
- Internet's best marriage proposal videos
- Two humorous moments that end with people soaked
- Cat won't be trying to eat fish in aquarium anymore