Is your child being cyberbullied?
What can parents do if their child is being bullied? Justin W. Patchin, Ph.D, an associate professor of criminal justice at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, co-director of the Cyberbullying Research Center, and author of "Bullying Beyond the Schoolyard," offers advice.
Tips to help if your child is a bully or a cyberbully's target
- Know your child's passwords
- Be on your child's preferred social network(s), like Facebook or Twitter, and be sure to "friend" them
- Inform your school
- Contact your internet service provider or content provider
- Contact the police when physical threats are involved
- Consider installing software tools that can help you monitor your child's internet use
- Collect evidence and keep records of the bullying and/or cyberbullying
- Check your school policy and know your state's laws in regards to bullying and cyberbullying
State laws on bullying and cyberbullying:
- Bullying and Cyberbullying Laws Fact Sheet
- State Cyberstalking, Cyberharassment and Cyberbullying Laws
For more advice and tips on cyberbullying:
- Video: Is your child being bullied?
- Video: What to do if your child is bullied
- Video: Is your child a bully?
- Video: Monitor online activities
- Video: Be your child's advocate
- Preventing Cyberbullying: Top 10 tips for parents
- Responding to Cyberbullying:Top 10 tips for parents
Cyberbullying 101 podcast
- CNET technology blogger Larry Magid separates cyberbullying fact from fiction with help from Justin Patchin. Listen now
"Bullying Beyond the Schoolyard" excerptsResources for students and parents
Resources for schools
- The mind of a killer: Unraveling the lies of Jodi Arias
- Unraveling the lies of Jodi Arias
- The War in Chicago
- Murder at Sea?
- Over the Edge
- Everything to Lose
- Extra: Meeting Jodi Arias
- The real story behind Miami's murderous Sun Gym gang
- Murder at Sea? The disappearance of George Smith
- Muscle and Mayhem
- Why is Jodi Arias smiling in her mugshot?
- "48 Hours" Program Schedule
- Did California chef David Viens kill, then cook wife?
- Jodi Arias on threats received in Calif. jail
- Jodi Arias wins singing contest while behind bars
- Power and Passion