"Face the Nation" transcript: September 11, 2011
Below is an advance transcript of "Face the Nation" on September 11, 2011, hosted by CBS News chief Washington correspondent Bob Schieffer from ground zero in New York City, on the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. The guests are counterterrorism adviser John Brennan, former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani.
INTERVIEW WITH WHITE HOUSE COUNTERTERRORISM ADVISER JOHN BRENNAN
Schieffer: And we're back now at Ground Zero with a special edition of Face the Nation. I'm Bob Schieffer and we want to go immediately to the White House for an update on the terror threat today. John Brennan is the President's counterterrorism adviser. Mr. Brennan, bring us up to date with this thing. We got this report earlier this week that someone might try to provoke an incident here. Set off a bomb, what can you tell us?
Brennan: Good morning, Bob. We convened another meeting this morning in the White House situation room to review all the available intelligence and to go over the actions that we're taking. The President met with his senior national security team yesterday, directed us to do everything possible to pull these threads, to see about the information that's been provided to us, that is specific and credible. Again, it's not confirmed, but the president wants to make sure that we leave no stone unturned. And that's what the intelligence, law enforcement, and homeland security communities are doing.
Schieffer: Have you received any information yet to corroborate these original reports? It's my understanding that you think you might have an idea of who gave these orders and you have some general idea anyway of who may have been ordered to carry them out.
Brennan: We do have some information about the nature of the attack that is being reported. We also have some information about the possible individuals, but I don't want to get into any operational details and I know that you and your viewers don't want us to reveal anything that could compromise our ability to find out whether or not there are individuals here in the United States that are trying to carry out an attack.
Schieffer: Do you have any information yet Mr. Brennan that would indicate that any of these people are actually in the United States?
Brennan: We're looking at a number of leads. We are looking at travel data, other types of pieces of information and trying to correlate them against other reporting that is coming in. And so we're pursuing a number of leads. Again, it's not confirmed but we're not relaxing at all. This is a 24/7 round the clock effort by all elements of the U.S. counterterrorism community both here in the United States as well as abroad.
Schieffer: There was one report that one of these people who might be suspected of this might be a United States citizen. Can you tell us anything about that?
Brennan: Well Bob again, I don't want to get into the operational aspects of this. I don't want to compromise anything that could lead us to individuals who may be a part of this plot. We do have some information that we're tracking down. Again none of this is confirmed at this point, but we are doing everything possible to see if we can find any additional information that would give us a lead about where these individuals, if they do exist, if they are planning to carry out an attack here in the States, may be residing right now.
- President at a crossroads
- Face the Nation transcripts May 19, 2013: Pfeiffer, Cornyn, Chaffetz & Pruitt
- AP president blasts "unconstitutional" phone records probe
- May 19: Pfeiffer, Cornyn, Chaffetz & Pruitt
- Bob Schieffer on "dumb and dumber" in Washington
- Maya Angelou recalls her childhood on Mother's Day
- Face the Nation transcripts May 5, 2013: Benghazi and gay athletes - Issa, Rogers, Ruppersberger
- Schieffer: "Welcome to dumb and dumber" in Washington
- Face the Nation transcripts May 12, 2013: Gates, Pickering, Ayotte, Durbin, and Angelou
- Face the Nation transcripts April 28, 2013: Syria and Boston - Graham, McCaskill, and Chambliss
- Official: We knew Benghazi was a terrorist attack "from the get-go"
- Gates knocks "cartoonish" Benghazi criticism
- Face the Nation: Local Listings
- Watergate: "A scandal that brought down the president"
- Face the facts: A fact check on gas prices