Beyonce baby announcement sets Twitter record
Beyonce performs at the MTV Video Music Awards on Sunday Aug. 28, 2011, in Los Angeles. / Matt Sayles
Beyonce triggered a tweeting frenzy with her surprise announcement at the MTV Video Music Awards that she is expecting a baby. Viewers spreading the pop diva's news banged out 8,868 tweets per second at 10:35 p.m. on Sunday, a record for the most tweets per second ever recorded for an event, according to Twitter's official global PR feed.
The previous record of 7,196 tweets per second was set last July at the women's World Cup final when Japan upset the United States. No 3 was another football match - Brazil's loss to Paraguay in the Copa America when people sent out 7,166 tweets per second following the conclusion of play.
Prior to the awards ceremony, MTV first reported the news with a tweet that read, "OMG Beyonce just made a huge announcement on the #vma carpet! #baby!!!!!" During the show, the singer made it official when she told the audience, "I want you to feel the love that's growing inside me." After performing the song "Love on Top," she unbuttoned her coat and rubbed her stomach, revealing her five-month baby bulge.
Popular in SciTech
- Oops! The five greatest scientific blunders
- Danish teenager makes rare Viking find
- 40 years later: Why the Endangered Species Act still matters
- Study: Extensive glacial melting on Mount Everest
- Apple's next iPhone may be coming in June
- Beam this up: Creating the sounds of "Star Trek"
- Google security: you (still) are the weakest link
- Thousands online proclaim: Jahar Tsarnaev is innocent