Bubba Smith, NFL and film star, dies at 66
In this 1980 photo released by Warner Bros., former football player and actor Bubba Smtih appears in character as Sgt. Moses Hightower on an undercover assignment in the comedy "Police Academy 3: Back In Training." / AP Photo/Warner Bros.
LOS ANGELES - Former NFL defensive star Bubba Smith, who found a successful second career as an actor, has died in Los Angeles at age 66.
Los Angeles County coroner's spokesman Ed Winter says Smith was found dead Wednesday at his Baldwin Hills home. Winter says he didn't know the circumstances or cause of death.
Police spokesman Richard French says the death does not appear to be suspicious.
Smith spent five seasons with the Baltimore Colts and two season each with Oakland and Houston. He played college ball at Michigan State.
As an actor he played such characters as police officer Lt. Moses Hightower in the "Police Academy" series.
Popular in Sports
- Aaron Hernandez questioned in death investigation
- Heat avoid elimination, beat Spurs in overtime, 103-100
- Ex- NFL player with ALS responds after radio hosts fired for mocking him
- Manu Ginobili pushes Spurs to edge of championship
- Armstrong tweets pic with Tour de France jerseys
- Home of Nuggets' Andersen searched, items seized
- Danny Green claims NBA Finals 3-pointer record, MVP next?
- Putin denies stealing Patriots Super Bowl ring