Alex Trebek on crutches after chasing intruder
"The answer is: At 2:30 yesterday morning, chasing a burglar down the hall," Trebek explained. "My Achilles tendon ruptured and I fell in an ignominious heap to the carpeting, bruising my other leg in the process."
Early Wednesday morning, 71-year-old Trebek and his wife were sleeping in a San Francisco hotel when an intruder broke into their room, grabbing money and valuables.
"As they exited the room, they gave chase to the suspect injuring themselves as they were giving chase. The suspect was later apprehended by one of the security inside the hotel," Police Lt. Troy Dangerfield said.
Lucinda Moyers, 56, was arrested by San Francisco Police and charged with felony burglary and receiving stolen property.
Among the items stolen was one with sentimental value - a bracelet. Alex Trebek's mom tells CBS News she gave her son the bracelet 20 years ago and he's been wearing it on the show every day since.
So did Trebek get the bracelet back?
"No," Trebek said.
Trebek is now home in Los Angeles and will undergo surgery on Friday.
- Lorena Bobbitt, 15 Years Later
- Most of Forbes' most powerful women are moms
- Dad Punishes Daughter with Free Babysitter Ad Play Video
- How to stop junk mail - forever
- New tornadoes hit Midwest Play Video
- Legit Work-from-Home Websites - and the Scams
- Terms to Never Use in Your Resume
- Fast Food Sales Up Play Video