Tiger Woods' agent denies announcement rumors
Tiger Woods speaks to the media during a press conference before the AT&T National at Aronimink Golf Club June 28, 2011, in Newtown Square, Pa. / Getty Images
Tiger Woods' agent says the golfer is not making any announcements Monday.
Mark Steinberg was responding to rumors late Sunday that an unspecified announcement about Woods would be made Monday morning on Golf Channel. That turned out to be word that Steinberg was joining Excel Sports Management. He left IMG in May.
As early as Monday morning, ESPN reported that the cable channel confirmed the "special announcement concerning Tiger Woods" on Twitter.
Steinberg told The Associated Press on Monday: "There's an erroneous report that he's making an announcement, but he's not."
Woods said last Tuesday he would skip this week's British Open because of "minor injuries" to his left leg that haven't fully healed, the second straight major he will miss.
Popular in Sports
- Golf champion and CBS analyst Ken Venturi dies
- Study: College athletes denied $6.2B over four years
- Upset at the Preakness Stakes
- NFL's Top 100 Players of All-Time: Debate
- Iran and U.S. wrestling teams meet in NYC
- Watch: 7-foot-5 teen basketball player dominates
- New bikini rules for Olympic beach volleyball
- Ravens survive 49ers, blackout to win Super Bowl