July 4 brawls in "Jersey Shore" town: 62 arrested
Lifeguards keep watch on beach-goers enjoying Atlantic Ocean, in Seaside Heights, N.J., August 10, 2010. / AP
SEASIDE HEIGHTS, N.J. - Plenty of fights in Seaside Heights, N.J., have aired on MTV's "Jersey Shore," but none resulted in this many arrests.
Police say they arrested 62 people at the town's boardwalk after fights broke out following a July 4 fireworks display.
Police say some of the thousands of spectators lingered after the fireworks show. They say a series of fights broke out and continued until police ordered the boardwalk closed at 1 a.m. Tuesday.
Seaside Heights Detective Steve Korman tells the Asbury Park Press that 39 people were arrested on disorderly persons offenses. Others were charged with assault, drug possession and interfering with law enforcement.
Police say they're not sure what caused the fights.
The MTV reality series is shooting another season in Seaside Heights, but police say they weren't involved.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Massive tornado hits Okla. 60 Photos
- Mile-wide tornado rips through Oklahoma City area
- At least 51 dead after massive Okla. tornado
- Oklahoma tornado carves trail of destruction Play Video
- Children rescued from elementary school in Okla. 10 Photos
- Severe tornado tears through Oklahoma City suburb Play Video
- Another tornado touches down near Oklahoma City
- Firefighter killed in massive Dallas condo fire