Brisket and ribs barbecue, Texas-style
The Lone Star State is home to some of the best slow-cooked meats in the country.
And at Louie Mueller Barbecue in Taylor, Texas, they've been serving up mouth-watering barbecue since 1959.
It was picked as having the best barbecue in the country for the "Taste of America" tour on "The Early Show on Saturday Morning."
Wayne Mueller, the third-generation pit master and owner of Louie's, served up the trick for making brisket and ribs barbecue taste just as good as it does in Texas.
In Texas, Wayne says, beef is king. Pork takes a back seat. Brisket is the meat by which a Texas barbecue joint is gauged. Brisket is from the lower-front chest of the cow.
What should you look for when buying meat?
There are three great cuts that I like to use: the "packer's cut"-- whole-beef brisket that weighs a good 7-to-9 pounds, whole chuck beef rib racks, which weigh three-and-a-hald-to-four pounds, and pork loin back (baby back) rib racks, which weigh 2-to-two-and-a-half pounds. And to prep them you want to trim off all of the excess fat before spreading the rub on.
Whatto keep in mind when making a bbq brisket
DRY RUB PREPARATION
1. Brisket Dry Rub: Course Black Pepper and Salt
2. Hand Mix 3 Cups of Course Black Pepper With 1/3 Cup of Salt in a Large Mixing Bowl
1. Trim Brisket of Excess Fat from Flat and Point Leaving 1/4" to 1/3" Cover Fat on Top
2. Apply Rub Thoroughly on Brisket Top, Bottom and Sides
1. Preheat Grill to 250 o F - 275o F
2. Add Wood Chips to Coals Once Hot
3. Place Brisket On Grill: Lean Side Down
4. Place Pan Of Water On Grill Opposite Brisket
5. Cook Brisket About 1hr per 1.25# at 275o F
6. Leave Hood Closed As Much As Possible To Avoid Prolonging Cooking Process (Heat Escape)
7. Rotate Meat Occasionally To Keep From Overcooking One Side
1. Pinch and Poke Brisket in Key Locations on the Flat and Point To Gauge Readiness
2. Brisket is Ready When:
a. When Pinching Flat, Fingers Should Penetrate Easily Between Brisket Fibers and
b. When Poking Point/Cap, Finger Should Penetrate Halfway
1. After Pulling Brisket From Grill, Let Stand For 10 Minutes Before Cutting.
2. Brisket Should Be Carved in Two Directions:
a. Cut Flat Parallel To Front Edge
b. Cut Point/Cap Perpendicular to Flat
The big secret to great barbecue
The secret is massaging the rub into the beef.
- How to stop junk mail - forever
- Candy Bombers Remembered Play Video
- Best Low-Tech Cell Phones Suitable for Seniors
- Terms to Never Use in Your Resume
- Legit Work-from-Home Websites - and the Scams
- Lorena Bobbitt, 15 Years Later
- Dad Punishes Daughter with Free Babysitter Ad Play Video
- Best Wheeled-Luggage for Your Budget