Baboon seen monkeying around NJ highway, house
A baboon climbs rocks in his enclosure at Berlin's zoo May 6, 2011. / AFP/Getty Images
JACKSON, N.J. - A baboon is on the loose in New Jersey.
Police say they received two calls Thursday afternoon from people who saw the monkey.
One came from a driver who said the animal was near Interstate 195. The second came from a woman who said a baboon was sitting on her back porch in Jackson.
The baboon may have escaped from the nearby Six Flags Great Adventure's Monkey Jungle. The park has 150 baboons.
Park officials say they are not positive one of theirs is missing because the animals are not counted daily. The Great Adventure baboons are fenced in and implanted with microchips.
Officials say anyone who spots the roaming baboon should call police and not approach the animal, even though baboons are not typically aggressive.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Massive tornado hits Oklahoma 68 Photos
- Children rescued from two elementary schools in Oklahoma 17 Photos
- Oklahoma tornado leaves dozens dead, including many children 91 Comments
- Oklahoma tornado carves trail of destruction Play Video
- Oklahoma tornado as seen by storm chasers Play Video
- Severe tornado tears through Oklahoma City suburb Play Video
- More severe weather expected after monster tornado
- At least 51 dead after massive Okla. tornado