Deadly Southern tornadoes: Amazing local videos
A tornado moves through Tuscaloosa, Ala. April 27, 2011. A wave of severe storms laced with tornadoes strafed the South on Wednesday, killing nearly 200 people across the South. A / Tuscaloosa tornado
The death toll from severe storms that punished five Southern U.S. states jumped to more than 200 after Alabama and other states canvassed its hard-hit counties for a new tally of lives lost.
Alabama's state emergency management agency said early Thursday it had confirmed 131 deaths, up from at least 61 earlier. Search and rescue teams were going house to house looking for more survivors and victims, reports CBS News correspondent Mark Strassmann. The death toll is expected to rise.
There were also deaths reported in Mississippi, Tennessee, Georgia, Virginia and Kentucky.
CBS viewers in the affected states captured dozens of stirring videos and images of the tornadoes as the rolled through -- and the destruction they left behind. Here are some of the most remarkable:
Residents near Huntsville, Ala. talk about losing everything:
Popular on CBSNews.com
- O.J. Simpson's ex-lawyer contradicts his testimony on guns
- Dozens injured as commuter trains collide in Conn.
- Lives lost: Suburban fatal heroin overdoses 19 Photos
- Seven-time lottery winner shares secret to winning Powerball
- Powerball jackpot at $600 million -- and climbing
- Tornadoes rip through northern Texas 17 Photos
- Why marry? Three generations tell their wedding stories
- Navy pilot earns degree in combat zone