Rev. David Wilkerson killed in Texas car crash
This undated photo from World Challenge Inc. shows founder Rev. David Wilkerson, who died in a car accident on April 27. 2011. / World Challenge Inc.
TYLER, Texas - Rev. David Wilkerson, founding pastor of Times Square Church in New York City and author of the best-selling book, "The Cross and the Switchblade," has died. He was 79.
Texas Department of Public Safety spokeswoman Tela Mange says Wilkerson died Wednesday in a car accident in East Texas. Mange says Wilkerson's car smashed head-on into a tractor-trailer rig after veering into another lane.
Wilkerson's World Challenge Inc. ministries confirmed on its website that he "went to be with Jesus."
Wilkerson founded the non-denominational Protestant church in 1987 in an area of Manhattan that was then riddled with X-rated movie houses, strip clubs, prostitution and drugs.
Wilkerson also founded Teen Challenge, which uses a biblically-based recovery program for drug addicts.
His wife, Gwendolyn, was injured in the car accident.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- TWA Flight 800 gets another look 17 years later 112 Comments
- America's endangered historic places 11 Photos
- Serena Williams sorry for "what I supposedly said" on rape
- FBI: No sign of Jimmy Hoffa's body in Detroit suburb
- TWA Flight 800 disaster - a look back 19 Photos
- Reporter Michael Hastings dies at 33
- 3 football players charged in Naval Academy rape case
- Scientists say shipwreck timber in Lake Michigan centuries old