Mason's 17th Shutout Lifts Columbus Over Wings 3-0
Men sit in the sun a day before pivotal elections in Faliro, a coastal suburb of Athens, Saturday, June 16, 2012. Greeks cast their ballots this Sunday for the second time in six weeks, after May 6 elections left no party with enough seats in Parliament to form a government and coalition talks collapsed. (AP Photo/Petros Karadjias) / Petros Karadjias
It was Mason's second shutout of the season and third against Detroit.
Antoine Vermette and Andrew Murray each had a goal and an assist and Jared Boll also scored for Columbus. Murray scored into an empty net with 1:12 remaining.
Jimmy Howard stopped 21 shots for the Red Wings.
Vermette's 12th goal opened the scoring with 7:51 left in the first period. He beat Howard with a one-time slap shot from the high slot as Vermette came off the bench.
Rick Nash's apparent goal with 6:39 left in the first was waved off because of a goaltender interference penalty to Derick Brassard.
Boll made it 2-0 with 7:49 left in the second period when he put in a one-timer from the low slot for his sixth goal. Murray set up Boll from behind the net.
Notes: Detroit C Pavel Datsyuk (broken bone in his right hand) and RW Tomas Holmstrom (broken right hand) remained out. It's possible that both may return Saturday night in Nashville. Datsyuk has missed 18 games and Holmstrom seven. ... Columbus D Rostislav Klesla missed his third game with a lower-body injury. ... Boll played junior hockey with the Ontario Hockey League's Plymouth Whalers, who are based in suburban Detroit.
Popular in Sports
- Aaron Hernandez questioned in death investigation
- Heat avoid elimination, beat Spurs in overtime, 103-100
- Ex- NFL player with ALS responds after radio hosts fired for mocking him
- Manu Ginobili pushes Spurs to edge of championship
- Armstrong tweets pic with Tour de France jerseys
- Danny Green claims NBA Finals 3-pointer record, MVP next?
- Home of Nuggets' Andersen searched, items seized
- Putin denies stealing Patriots Super Bowl ring