Baker On 'Cake Boss' Dies
ADVANCE FOR USE SUNDAY, JUNE 17, 2012 AND THEREAFTER - FILE - In this Tuesday, March 13, 2012 file photo, Chongqing party secretary Bo Xilai, foreground, attends the closing session of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference held at Beijing's Great Hall of the People in China. Author Qiu Xiaolong has qualms about Bo Xilai's style during his time as party chief in the sprawling Yangtze River metropolis of Chongqing, when he championed mass sing-alongs that harked back to the Cultural Revolution days. It "speaks of the real danger of the Cultural Revolution staging a comeback," Qiu said. (AP Photo/Alexander F. Yuan) / Alexander F. Yuan
His wife, Lucille, told The Record newspaper the cause was cancer.
Picinich was born on the Croatian island of Susak.
He worked 45 years at Carlo's Bakery in Hoboken, where the TV series is recorded.
The bakery's publicist says Buddy "The Cake Boss" Valastro looked up to Picinich as a "second father." Picinich had worked under Valastro's late father, Buddy Valastro Sr.
Picinich stopped appearing on the show when he began battling illness in late 2009. However, he returned last summer to accept the employee of the century award to mark the bakery's 100th anniversary.
The Carlstadt resident is survived by his wife and two sons.
Popular in Entertainment
- Ray Manzarek remembered by Doors bandmates, rockers
- Justin Bieber booed at 2013 Billboard Music Awards 129 Comments
- "DWTS": Champion Melissa Rycroft picks a winner
- "The Voice": Top 10 take the stage
- New "Dancing with the Stars" champion announced
- Watch: Miguel jumps, lands on fan at Billboard Awards
- Ray Manzarek, founding member of The Doors, dies
- At last: "Arrested" is reborn Sunday on Netflix