Fake Shark Devours Surfer In Latest Statue Prank
Law enforcement officers hand out photos of a man to other officers at the scene of a shooting at Erie Count Medical Center in Buffalo, N.Y., Wednesday, June 13, 2012. A police official confirms that a woman was killed Wednesday morning on the grounds of the Erie County Medical Center, which he describes as being in "complete lockdown" as SWAT teams and other officers cordon off the 65-acre campus.(AP Photo/David Duprey) / David Duprey
Unknown predawn pranksters on Saturday surrounded the roadside statue in Cardiff-by-the-Sea with a papier mache model of a great white shark that appeared to be swallowing it whole.
Crowds of gawkers and photographers gathered around the 16-foot creation after the sun rose.
San Diego County sheriff's Lt. Tony Ray said no criminal report was filed because there was no damage to the statue.
The $120,000 sculpture called "Magic Carpet Ride" was commissioned by the Cardiff Botanical Society in 2007.
The statue has been bedecked with bras, skirts and witch hats so many times that locals have come to call it "The Cardiff Kook."
Popular in Strange
- Bluegrass rendition of Daft Punk's "One More Time"
- Clever cat opens five doors in a row to go outside
- Bear chasing man up a tree is totally surreal to see
- See Google Glass through the eyes of a toddler
- YouTube marks birthday with music, comedy and cats
- Fascinating footage after grizzly bear eats camera
- Seven ways to open wine bottle without corkscrew
- How to become a YouTube star (with "epic montage")
- Teen with rare bone cancer inspires through music
- Sea lion shows concern after little girl falls
- An amazing mashup of music in just one minute
- Joe Jonas responds to dance invite with sexy video
- Two humorous moments that end with people soaked
- Dead Giveaway: Ohio hero Charles Ramsey gets "songified"
- Internet's best marriage proposal videos
- Cat won't be trying to eat fish in aquarium anymore