27 Arrested after Maryland Beats Duke
In this image made from amateur video released by Shaam News Network and accessed Monday, June 11, 2012, purports to show smoke near a mosque from Syrian government forces shelling in Rastan town in Homs province, Syria. Syrian troops attacked a central, rebel-held town with helicopter gunships Monday and shelled other restive areas across the nation, activists said. The aerial assault targeted the strategic river crossing town of Rastan, which has resisted repeated government offensives for months, the activists said. (AP Photo/Shaam News Network via AP video) TV OUT, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS CANNOT INDEPENDENTLY VERIFY THE CONTENT, DATE, LOCATION OR AUTHENTICITY OF THIS MATERIAL / Anonymous
Police spokesman Cpl. Larry Johnson says about 1,500 people poured onto U.S. Route 1 in Prince George's County after Maryland beat No. 4 Duke 79-72 Wednesday night.
CBSSports.com: Maryland Outlasts Duke
TV footage showed officers on horseback dispersing the crowd and police in riot gear patting down young men. Johnson says some in the crowd threw snowballs and ice at police and some officers suffered minor injuries.
Johnson says charges ranging from civil disturbance to destruction of property are pending against those arrested. Campus police say smaller groups there set fire to a tree and trash cans.
Popular in Sports
- Bay Area hosting 50th Super Bowl
- Upset at the Preakness Stakes
- Watch: 7-foot-5 teen basketball player dominates
- Study: College athletes denied $6.2B over four years
- Female NFL hopeful kicker injured in tryout
- Golf champion and CBS analyst Ken Venturi dies
- Super Bowl ticket prices: A historical look
- NFL's Top 100 Players of All-Time: Debate