Madoff Kin Want to Drop Infamous Name
A helicopter drops water on trees burning behind homes on the High Park wildfire near Fort Collins, Colo., on Monday, June 11, 2012. The wildfire is burning out of control in northern Colorado, while an unchecked blaze choked a small community in southern New Mexico as authorities in both regions battled fires Monday. (AP Photo/Ed Andrieski) / Ed Andrieski
Stephanie Madoff filed court papers in Manhattan on Wednesday asking to change her last name to Morgan. She made the same request for her two children.
She's married to the jailed financier's son, Mark. She says her family has gotten threats, and she wants to drop the Madoff name to avoid "additional humiliation" and harassment. Her lawyer declined to comment.
Mark Madoff says in court papers he doesn't object.
Bernard Madoff is serving a 150-year prison sentence after admitting he cheated investors out of billions of dollars through an investment Ponzi scheme. His lawyer didn't immediately return a call Wednesday.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Port Authority releases photo of One WTC workers at dizzying heights 130 Comments
- Massive train collision takes down highway overpass
- Washington state bridge collapses 20 Photos
- Best U.S. beaches 2013 10 Photos
- Thousands of U.S. bridges vulnerable to collapse
- Bridge collapse blamed on tractor-trailer 327 Comments
- Deadly Angel Flight crash in upstate New York
- Frantic 911 calls reveal chaos in Okla., following tornado