Gunman Prays with Clerk During Robbery
Jean Luc Melenchon, leader of France's leftist political party Front de Gauche, and candidate for the 2012 French legislative elections visit as a voting station in Oignies, northern France, Sunday, June 10, 2012, French Legislative elections will take place next June 10 and 17, and will determine the makeup of the new parliament. (AP Photo/Jacques Brinon) / jacques Brinon
Security video clearly showed the man's face during the stickup Monday, and a 23-year-old surrendered Tuesday on a preliminary charge of robbery.
The robber turned himself in after his mother spotted him in surveillance video that aired on CBS affilate WISH Monday night.
Police say the robbery took an unusual turn after the gunman came around the counter when the clerk starting crying and talking about God.
The man, identified as Gregory Smith, said he had a 2-year-old child to support and asked for prayers about overcoming his hardships.
Police say the man removed the bullet from his gun and gave it to the clerk before taking her cell phone and the money.
"This whole robbery deal was pretty strange. I've been on 27 years and never seen nothing like this," said IMPD Lt. Jeff Duhamell, according to the station.
"After his mother saw him, she contacted him and he basically turned himself in," said Lt. Duhamell.
Smith is being held without bond facing felony gun and robbery charges. Police said he was already on probation for theft, the station reported.
Popular in Strange
- Weekend Music Round-Up: creative and dance edition
- Fascinating footage after grizzly bear eats camera
- Internet's best marriage proposal videos
- Time Lapse: Montreal by Winter
- See swift hummingbirds shown in super slow-motion
- Fun with zombie parkour and first-person skiing
- Daft Punk music medley is an epic mix and tribute
- Are you my mom? Orphaned pig adopted by mother cat
- Dead Giveaway: Ohio hero Charles Ramsey gets "songified"
- Joe Jonas responds to dance invite with sexy video
- Seven ways to open wine bottle without corkscrew
- 2-year-old girl adorably nails cover of Pearl Jam
- Arnold Schwarzenegger teaser for YouTube Comedy Week
- Cleveland hero Charles Ramsey gets a music remix
- Chupacabra Found?
- Time Lapse: Death Valley