Coming Soon: High Speed Rail to Vegas?
The female body starts making eggs at nine weeks. Not nine weeks after birth, but nine weeks after conception. By the time it's five months old, a female fetus has made upward of 7 million oocytes. By the time of birth, the vast majority of these immature egg cells have died. That's normal.. / istockphoto
U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood says the route is now part of the California rail corridor, a technical designation that endorses the viability of high-speed train travel in the region.
Officials say the designation also signals a possible future collaboration between California's proposed high-speed rail system and a separate project shuttling passengers between the two regions.
LaHood, U.S. Sen. Harry Reid and California Department of Transportation Director Will Kempton made the announcement in Las Vegas on Thursday.
Reid used the event to repeat his support for the DesertXpress train project. The electric train would run between Las Vegas and Victorville, Calif., at up to 150 mph.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Massive tornado hits Okla. 60 Photos
- Mile-wide tornado rips through Oklahoma City area
- Children rescued from elementary school in Okla. 11 Photos
- Oklahoma tornado carves trail of destruction Play Video
- At least 51 dead after massive Okla. tornado
- Severe tornado tears through Oklahoma City suburb Play Video
- Record Fla. Powerball winner can't remain anonymous
- Another tornado touches down near Oklahoma City