KARADZIC CAPTURED....Radovan Karadzic, architect of the Srebrenica massacre in 1995, has finally been arrested after a 13-year manhunt. Here's what Peter Baker said about him in the Monthly four years ago:Political Animal
One really shouldn't engage in atrocity one-upmanship, but it's arguable that compared with such more famous current and recent fugitives as Osama bin Laden and Saddam Hussein, Karadzic wins the odiousness sweepstakes. A remarkably public front man for genocide in the former Yugoslavia, the disarmingly avuncular Bosnian Serb leader dispensed lies to packed press conferences while his soldiers laid siege to Sarajevo (where he previously worked at the main hospital) and went village to village, locking families inside houses and setting them afire, bringing women to detention camps where they could be mass-raped. Along with his general and fellow fugitive Ratko Mladic, Karadzic is accused of responsibility for all manner of atrocity, most notably the 1995 massacre of about 8,000 Muslim men and boys in the U.N. safe area of Srebrenica, the single worst crime committed in Europe since World War II.For more background ont Karadzic and why he's been so hard to catch, read the whole thing.
Popular in Politics
- Obama prom pictures surface 89 Comments
- Obama: America at a "crossroads" in fighting terrorism 90 Comments
- IRS official Lois Lerner placed on leave
- Protester heckles Obama during counterterrorism speech Play Video
- Lawmakers push to punish sexual offenders in the military
- Drones, Gitmo part of broad Obama counterterrorism speech
- Boehner calls out Obama administration's "arrogance of power" 94 Comments
- IRS' Lerner: "I have not done anything wrong"