Afghans: Wedding Party Bombed, 27 Dead
This image provided by Interpol shows an undated photo of Luka Rocco Magnotta, 29 years-old, who is accused of videotaping a gruesome murder before posting it to the internet will be charged with threatening Canada's prime minister after mailing a severed foot to his Conservative party headquarters, police said Saturday June 2, 2012. Magnotta is wanted for first-degree murder, defiling a corpse and using the mail system for delivering "obscene, indecent, immoral or scurrilous" material. Montreal Police Cmdr. Ian Lafreniere said they still believe Magnotta, 29, is in France. (AP Photo/Interpol)
It's the second military attack in three days with reports of civilian deaths.
But the U.S. military blames the claims on militant propaganda, saying its missiles only hit insurgents. A spokesman says the military has repeatedly seen militants falsely claim civilians were killed.
Even so, the American commander of NATO forces in Afghanistan tells The Associated Press that the two reports are being investigated.
President Hamid Karzai had already ordered an investigation into allegations that missiles from U.S. helicopters struck civilians on Friday in eastern Afghanistan.
But the Defense Ministry said today that the attack killed or wounded 20 militants.
The issue of civilian casualties has caused friction between the Afghan government and U.S. and NATO troops. And it's weakened the standing of the Western-backed Karzai in the eyes of the population.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Boat hijack stokes tension between N. Korea, China
- Visitors evacuate after suicide at Paris' Notre Dame Cathedral
- China probes rice tainted with cancer-causing cadmium
- Egypt troops in Sinai sweep mistakenly hit funeral
- Hezbollah suffers heavy losses fighting inside Syria
- Lebanon reportedly stopping Syria refugees at border
- Russia shows accused U.S. spy heading home
- Syria activists: 31 Hezbollah fighters killed in Qusair