GUANTANAMO....Emily Bazelon and Dahlia Lithwick on the real heroes of the military commissions at Guantanamo Bay:Political Animal
Since the inception of the commissions, the brakes have almost always been applied when some member of the military has balked, even when going along would have been the far easier course....Start with Charles Swift....Next up, Col. Morris Davis....yet another military naysayer: Keith Allred....Four others — Maj. Robert Preston, Capt. John Carr, Capt. Carrie Wolf, and Lt. Col. Stuart Couch.Read the whole thing.
....The truth is that the best thing the commissions have going for them right now are the lawyers and judges in uniform who have, albeit reluctantly, refused to play along. If they'd been out on the battlefield, they'd have killed any detainee they met as an enemy. But they're not willing to see them killed in the wake of a sham trial. That's not because they value the lives of terrorists over the lives of Americans or because they value legal formalism over the exigencies of war. It's because they come out of a long military tradition of legal integrity and independence. And much as it must pain them, this precludes them from being yes men for the Bush administration at the expense of the rule of law.
Popular in Politics
- Obama prom pictures surface 127 Comments
- Is President Obama ending the war on terror? 262 Comments
- IRS' Lerner was asked to resign, refused: GOP Sen. 122 Comments
- Now, some unions upset over Obamacare
- Obama forgets to salute while boarding Marine One Play Video
- IRS official Lois Lerner placed on leave 130 Comments
- GOP Rep.: Obama elected because of Reagan's immigration reforms
- Rand Paul uses 2016 bully pulpit to push Obama on drones