Cotillard Has Regret About 9/11 Remarks
In this Thursday, May 31, 2012, job seekers gather for employment opportunities at the 11th annual Skid Row Career Fair at the Los Angeles Mission in Los Angeles. U.S. employers created 69,000 jobs in May, the fewest in a year, and the unemployment rate ticked up. The dismal jobs figures could fan fears that the economy is sputtering. (AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes, File) / Damian Dovarganes
Cotillard found herself in hot water recently over comments she made in an interview last year accusing the U.S. of a 9/11 cover-up.
"Marion never intended to contest nor question the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, and regrets the way old remarks have been taken out of context," her Paris-based lawyer Vincent Tolesano told the Agence France Presse.
The actress made her comments on a French television program in February 2007, saying "I think we're lied to about a number of things," including who brought down the World Trade Center.
Cotillard argued that it was an inside job, prompted by the towers becoming obsolete.
"It was a money-sucker because they were finished, it seems to me, by 1973, and to recable all that, to bring up-to-date all the technology and everything, it was a lot more expensive, that work, than destroying them," she said.
The interview surfaced on a French magazine Web site and has made the rounds over the Internet.
Cotillard is due in Chicago next week to begin filming "Public Enemies" opposite Johnny Depp.
Popular in Entertainment
- Streisand slams treatment of women in Israel 239 Comments
- Police looking into Nigella Lawson throat-grab photos
- Miss USA 2013 24 Photos
- Kris Jenner: Kim Kardashian is "thrilled" about baby
- New Miss USA is an accountant
- "Mad Men" recap: 10 best moments
- Weekend box office: "Man of Steel" smashes June record
- "True Blood" returns for sixth season