Some Advice On Where To Have Your Next Heart Attack
SOME ADVICE ON WHERE TO HAVE YOUR NEXT HEART ATTACK....One of the lessons from Shannon Brownlee's book Overtreated is that you really ought to avoid hospitals. Today, a new report puts some meat on those bones:Political Animal
People who suffer cardiac arrest are more likely to survive if they are in a casino or airport than if they are in a hospital, researchers said today.Bottom line: in airports and casinos, half of all cardiac arrest victims survive. In hospitals, only a third survive. So if you're smart, you'll have your cardiac episode in an airport, not a hospital. If you're black, you'd be super smart to do so.
....A new study shows that only a third of victims in hospitals survive primarily because patients do not receive life-saving defibrillation within the recommended two minutes....For reasons that are not clear, black patients were less likely to receive the treatment within the two-minute window.
Popular in Politics
- Romney condemns "breach of trust" in Washington 193 Comments
- Officials on Benghazi: "We made mistakes, but without malice" 359 Comments
- IRS targeting overlooked biggest soft money groups 70 Comments
- Where is the Benghazi cover-up Republicans promised? 419 Comments
- For GOP, scandals could be an electoral plus - or minus 335 Comments
- Republicans use IRS scandal to tar Obamacare 47 Comments
- Ousted IRS chief: "I did not mislead" the American people
- Why Obama should worry that current scandals might impact 2016