Dad Suspect In Car Fire Killing Kids
FILE - In this June 8, 2011 file photo, Ryan Crocker testifies on Capitol Hill in Washington. Crocker will be leaving his post as ambassador to Afghanistan this summer, an embassy spokesman said Tuesday. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite, File) / J. Scott Applewhite
The 54-year-old father was found near the SUV with severe burns on his face, hands and legs, authorities said. He was taken to a hospital, where he was listed in critical condition.
Firefighters discovered the children, ages 10 and 11, after extinguishing the vehicle fire in a downtown alley, said Brian Humphrey, a fire department spokesman.
"We believe the person responsible for this crime is the children's father," police Sgt. Lee Sands said.
"We don't know if he was trying to do harm to himself, or just the children and accidentally got burned," Sands said.
Positive identification of the young victims has been difficult because the bodies were burned beyond recognition, said Lt. Cheryl MacWillie of the Los Angeles County Coroner's Office.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Port Authority releases photo of One WTC workers at dizzying heights 140 Comments
- Massive train collision takes down highway overpass
- Thousands of U.S. bridges vulnerable to collapse
- Washington state bridge collapses 20 Photos
- Texas flooding turns deadly
- Best U.S. beaches 2013 10 Photos
- Missouri train derailment 10 Photos
- Bridge collapse blamed on tractor-trailer 330 Comments