L.A. Edgy Amid Highway Shootings
File-In this Jan.15,2010 file photo showing a combination of three separate photographs, the various stages of an annular solar eclipse seen over Anuradhapura, Sri Lanka. An annular solar eclipse occurs when the moon blots out all but a ring around the sun. This year's solar show can be viewed from eastern Asia to parts of North America. (AP Photo/Eranga Jayawardena,File) / Eranga Jayawardena
Authorities have increased freeway patrols and considered installing recorders on roadside traffic cameras.
Five people have been shot in their cars in apparently unrelated — and definitely unsolved — attacks. In at least three cases, the shooters were in other cars.
Manny Padilla, a California Highway Patrol chief in Southern California, said the bloodshed might reflect frustration with gridlock.
"Driving behavior has changed tremendously with all the congestion here. That causes people to be extremely short-tempered and inconsiderate," he said. "The courtesy we used to extend often isn't there anymore."
- no previous page
Popular on CBSNews.com
- TWA Flight 800 gets another look 17 years later 108 Comments
- America's endangered historic places 11 Photos
- FBI: No sign of Jimmy Hoffa's body in Detroit suburb
- Reporter Michael Hastings dies at 33
- Serena Williams sorry for "what I supposedly said" on rape
- TWA Flight 800 disaster - a look back 19 Photos
- Taliban: We killed 4 U.S. troops at Afghan air base
- Scientists say shipwreck timber in Lake Michigan centuries old