Blue Jackets Hire King As Coach
Dave King, former coach of the Calgary Flames and the Canadian national team, joined the expansion Columbus Blue Jackets on Wednesday as head coach.
"He is a highly regarded leader, teacher and coach and is respected as much as anyone associated with our game," said Doug MacLean, president and general manager of the team, which starts play this fall.
"I talked to numerous outstanding candidates for this job, but there is no doubt in my mind that Dave King is the right man to lead the Blue Jackets when we hit the ice this October."
King, 52, signed a three-year contract, but the franchise did not disclose the terms. The Columbus Dispatch reported Wednesday that the deal is worth $300,000 to $400,000 per year and the contract's total value is in the range of $1.3 million.
"I'm honored, excited and proud to be the first head coach in the history of the Columbus Blue Jackets," King said at a news conference where his selection was announced.
| "I'm very happy to have the opportunity to work with a team in its inaugural season because it is a chance for all of us to put a stamp on the program."|
The expansion Columbus Blue Jackets named Dave King as the franchises first coach Wednesday. (CBS SportsLine)
Popular in Sports
- Upset at the Preakness Stakes
- Golf champion and CBS analyst Ken Venturi dies
- Pacers knock out Knicks with 106-99 win in Game 6
- Phil Ivey skips World Series of Poker in protest
- Indiana Pacers part ways with Larry Bird
- Iran and U.S. wrestling teams meet in NYC
- Warrant issued for former NFL player Chad Johnson
- Sheriff: Ex-NASCAR driver Dick Trickle dead at 71