Last Updated Jun 2, 2011 2:56 PM EDT
The former vice presidential candidate wrote "Energy," "Tax Cuts," and "Lift American Spirits" on her hand. When I first heard about it, I immediately thought it was a bad joke -- maybe some SNL skit or something. But this was no joke. She actually had hand notes that she appeared to review while presenting. Where was Sarah when I was barely passing high-school geometry tests?
Is Sarah Palin dumb? I think she's a genius. Before you get your political panties in a bunch, let it be known I'm an equal opportunity learner -- I've done a column on what you can learn from Barack Obama as well.
So, why do I think she's so smart? I love this idea of focusing on three critical ideas. When we are flooded with information, requests, and commitments, it's nice to peel away all of the excess and to concentrate on just three things. It's easy to turn into a human pinball -- constantly bouncing from one thought or idea to another. This is a recipe for failure in life and in business. True success comes from concentration. Warren Buffet famously said, "Diversification may preserve wealth, but concentration builds wealth."
I think it would be powerful to see president Obama write his top three goals for the country on his hand every morning. Or what if your CEO wrote her top three goals on her hand every morning and proudly showed them to everyone she met during the day?
Here's how you can benefit from writing your top three goals on your hand every day:
- Identification. It forces you think about what's important and what you want. The simple act of writing your goals has a transformative effect.
- Concentration. We have a limited amount of the other 8 hours in which we can direct our energy and resources. It helps stop the static and allows us to focus with intention at our most significant goals.
- Commitment. By writing them on your hand instead of a Post-It note, it shows you are committed.
- Declaration. By publicly displaying your goals you are putting a stake in the ground to those around you. You're saying, "Look folks. This is what I believe and this is what I'm all about."
- Inspiration. Feeling down? Unmotivated? Simply look at your hand to immediately feel re-connected to what's most important in your life.
Try it yourself. Do it tomorrow. It will connect you to what's most important in your life and it will be a great conversation starter. And speaking of conversations, maybe now my neighbors will start talking to me again...
Are you ready to create more money, time, energy, and passion in your life? Learn how to live your best life now with these free resources:
Get the "Achieving Peak Performance" ebook and video now!
(free for a limited time)
You can also join a community of passionate people at Richer Life who want to achieve more in life and at work. With your free membership, you can participate in conversations I have with experts, celebrities, authors, and thought leaders that are laser-focused on practical ways to drive more money, motivation, and meaning into your life. Take the first step toward creating a better life by joining Richer Life for free now!