(CBS/WOIO/AP) CLEVELAND - The remaining rape and kidnapping charges against Ohio serial killer Anthony Sowell, who has already been sentenced to death for killing 11 women and dumping their remains around his house and property, were dismissed on Monday.
The remaining rape and felony assault charges pertained to two women who survived his attacks. Both women testified in Sowell's murder trial, and said they got closure from testifying, reports CBS affiliate WOIO.
The cases were dismissed at the prosecutor's request to save additional trial costs and spare the women from having to testify again.
"He's a hopeless soul, I mean, there's nothing redeeming about him there never will be," said Assistant County Prosecutor Rick Bombik, reports the station. "The man has got to...the man is without any remorse without any conscience and anything that comes out of his mouth goes in one ear and out my other ear."
The charges could be refiled if Sowell's murder convictions are overturned on appeal, according to Bombik. He said the prosecution team was confident the convictions would be upheld.
The murdered women began disappearing in 2007, and prosecutors say Sowell lured them to his east Cleveland home with the promise of alcohol or drugs.
Police discovered 10 bodies and a skull in late 2009 after officers went to investigate a woman's report that she had been raped there.